- Submit News Tip
- Contact Us
It’s hard to find a piece of real estate in our region with a history more fascinating and mysterious than Grouse Nest
It was a focus point in the community, with the telegraph line in place in 1889, and later on, the telephone office.
Sawmilling enterprise boomed in the Sooke and East Sooke region
It’s unclear whether this particular photo was taken in 1926 or 1927.
While Jordan River is perhaps mostly notable today for its wonderful surfing, it has seen a lot of history.
In 1790, the entrance to the harbour had been named Puerto de Revilla Gigedo, for the Viceroy of Mexico.
In the 1970s the office was purchased by Sooke’s architect of that day, John Tregear, who rebuilt it on a concrete foundation
Katherine Muir and Arthur Harvey's honeymoon home in Sooke
The eldest Clark brother Henry settled in Otter Point in 1886 on the land that descendants of his still hold.
Sooke’s library service began with a “Bookmobile” which made regular trips to the region.
This 1939 photo of the old Charters Hall gives an idea of what it was like to get around, mostly on foot, in winter.
There were a number of cabins dotted amongst the lakeshores of Crabapple, Sheilds, Grassie and Peden lakes
First arriving at Fort Victoria in 1858, Thomas Tugwell’s life was spent as an entrepreneur
Shirley School was learning base for many pioneer families.
Alice and Harry grew up surrounded by Muir and Welsh relatives as neighbours, and walked to attend Sooke School
Historic span crossed Williams Creek in the upper San Juan Valley
Local historian Elida Peers once again takes us back to Sooke's humble roots.
For nine years, spanning from the Great Depression to the Second World War, Thomas Dufferin Pattullo was premier of B.C.
Road access to Port Renfrew via Shawnigan Lake Road opened up the secluded community to the rest of the world.
Seventy-five years ago this was the view from Sooke School looking out to the water and towards Woodward Point.