- BC Games
Council Briefs-Feb 6
Items of interest from the regular District of Sooke council meeting on Jan. 28, 2013.
• Bylaw 519, 520 were adopted by council. Bylaw 519 is a Zoning Amendment Bylaw for property at 2100 Otter Point Road rezoning the property from RM4 and P1 to R3 (Small Lot residential Zone).
Bylaw 520 is a Phased Development Agreement for 2100 Otter Point Road. The developer is looking to build 127 seniors’ oriented residences on what was part of the old John Phillips Memorial Golf Course.
• Bylaw 562, Sooke Core Sewer Specified Area Amendment bylaw was adopted for property at 2259 Phillips Road, Sooke Community Association. This will enlarge the community sewer system to include the Sooke flats area.
• Bylaw 600, Sooke Zoning Bylaw, 2013 was adopted by council with one opposing vote from Councillor Maja Tait.
• Bylaw 558, 559, 560. Council sent this item back to staff. The Land Use Committee had recommended to council to give first and second reading to Bylaw 558, Zoning Amendment Bylaw and Bylaw 559, 1781 Minnie Road & 7057 West Coast Road Phased Development Agreement, and council give first, second and third reading to Bylaw 560, Sooke Core Sewer Specified Area Amendment and schedule a public hearing.
The developers are looking to develop the properties on 2.6 acres (1.065 hectares) which are currently zoned RU4. They envision average lot sizes of 750 sq. metres. They look to running a sewer line direct to the sewer treatment plant.
A couple of councillors questioned the proposal stating that other property owners in the vicinity might also want to hook up to the sewer and decisions should not be made for a single property.
Mayor Wendal Milne said he would support the concept of a subdivision but he was concerned with the sewer process. He said it was troubling him as this was a band aid solution for this one subdivision. He wanted more information.
• At the Land Use Committee(Jan. 21) a proposal to build a Tim Hortons and re-open Kennedy Rd. was heard. The item will require further study.