- Submit News Tip
- Trending Now
- Photo Galleries
- Contact Us
Building on Otter Point Road was once the hub of Sooke's social life
Capt. Bowen-Colthurst’s biggest claim to fame was in 1916 in Ireland, when he took part in quelling the Easter Uprising
George Miller – surveyor, family man, community activist and volunteer – was full of community spirit.
One-room schoolhouse served Otter Point from 1913 to 1952
From the 1860s to 1911, when the industry was outlawed, the hunt for fur seals occupied many men on the West Coast.
Christina Irvine began teaching in Sooke in 1876 and stayed for three terms
This scene indicates the importance that San Juan Bay and Port Renfrew have occupied throughout the years.
The Hopkins, 61’6” in length and 17’ 6” in breadth, was built in 1909 at Howe Sound for the Hopkins brothers.
Pioneer Andrew Muir arrived from Scotland and worked in North Island coal mines before moving to Sooke.
We have all said goodbye to many good friends in the past decade.
During the Second World War, two army training camps were located in our region, along with a number of lookout posts
The motor car brought vast improvement to mail delivery
Sooke's first 4H club was a success when it began in 1953.
Of British origin, James Sheilds had reached Sooke by way of the California gold rush and a stopover in Victoria.
Britisher William Vowles Sr., and his wife Ada emigrated to America with their children in 1912.
This 1927 photo was taken in front of the historic Curtis Muir house.
In addition to the freight trains, the CNR operated a passenger service using a gas car on the track from Victoria as far as Sooke Lake.
The photo came to us from Flora Brown Manion; it’s Flora’s mother Mary Jane Brown who is wearing the stylish wide-brimmed hat.
A crosscut saw being welded on the grounds of the high school today would probably be unbelievable, but in 1946, it was normal
George Woodruff and his wife Mary Ann Turpin are seen in this photo taken in the early 1900s on Sooke Road