While some residents of the Grant Manor fire continue on their search to find permanent housing, fundraising efforts are ramping up.
The Grant Road Fire Help Committee is planning a four-band extravaganza at the Sooke Community Hall on Sept. 9. Tickets for the Grant Manor Fire Ball are expected to go on sale this week at area merchants for $20.
The Royal Canadian Legion is also working on plans for a spaghetti dinner. Details will be announced later.
A special concert will be held on Sept. 19 at the Sooke Community Hall at 8 p.m. in order to help raise funds.
Committee chair Richard Steele said some residents of Grant Manor have not found permanent homes and remain in temporary housing situations.
The committee is raising funds to help residents get back on their feet. Some money will be used to clean personal items from asbestos contamination. Coin boxes have been distributed throughout Sooke at local merchants.
Volunteer Hazmat workers from Service Master began cleaning out personal items from the fire site yesterday. They will remain there until Thursday.
“All items in the building were covered in asbestos dust and were contaminated,” said Mick Rhodes, a committee member. “This was a real concern for the tenants.”
The committee arranged for a secured steel storage box to store the items rescued from the site and when money becomes available the items will be cleaned and returned to their owners.
The Grant Manor fire started in a ground suite on July 4. Three apartments were destroyed, other units received damage. Approximately 20 people were left homeless.