Tall Trees Festival will benefit Port Renfrew

Yearly music festival will bring tourists to coastal community

The Tall Tree Music Festival is coming back to Port Renfrew for its third year, and economic benefits are expected to follow.

The event is not-for-profit, and proceeds after expenses will be given to the Ancient Forest Alliance for the boardwalk in Avatar Grove, Port Renfrew Chamber of Commerce and Port Renfrew recreation centre. In addition to proceeds, each of the organizations received tickets to sell for their own profit.

The summer music festival will also bring a huge economic spin off for the small town of less than 200 residents.

“It’s huge for Port Renfrew,” said Rosie Betsworth, Port Renfrew Chamber of Commerce president. “Accommodations fill up, and restaurants overflow.”

“It just puts Port Renfrew on the map,” she said.

According to Mike Roma, media representative for Radio Contact, financial benefits to the community are part of the goal.

“Everybody that’s a part of this really likes Port Renfrew and we feel that if we’re going to be growing that they should be benefiting as we grow.”

The line up features over 65 artists and performers —  85 per cent of which hail from Victoria and some from Salt Spring Island. The remaining 15 per cent of performers are coming from across Canada and U.S.

The idea behind the Tall Tree Music Festival and it’s winter sister event, the Song and Surf, is to encourage younger generations from Victoria to explore Port Renfrew.

Roma said music and culture would serve as the initial draw to Port Renfrew, but he added, “once they get out there they would realize how beautiful it is.”

He said the Tall Tree Music Festival was arranged so that it would grow slowly, with the first year capping off ticket sales at 500, the following at 750 and this year at 1,500.

Roma said 1,500 tickets for this year’s event was determined a manageable number by staff and local law enforcement.

So far, Roma deems the event a success.

“The greatest achievement of the festival is the quality of people it brings out,” he said. “We’ve been really fortunate, bringing out only nice and good people.”

The event will take place from June 21-24 at Brown’s Mountain in Port Renfrew. The event is 19+ and two pieces of government I.D. will be required to enter.

Drinking and driving and “negative energy” will not be tolerated.

Tickets are available at Coastline or online at the Royal & McPherson Theatres Society: http://www.rmts.bc.ca/

Just Posted

Sooke’s Park Watch to cease operation

People not carrying money for donation boxes led to funding shortfalls

West Shore RCMP bust seizes $50,000 worth of drugs

More than 300 grams of cocaine and crack-cocaine seized in Victoria

Bates Motel recreated in Saanich for a haunting good time

Local artists, actors transform house into a free, ‘fun spooky’ Halloween attraction

Sidney handles plastic bags with wait-and-see approach

Officials say they will wait for courts and provincial action concerning single-use plastic bags

Indigenous artist challenges people to re-assess environments with new project

The ‘Indigenous Illuminations’ transforms the ordinary into something new

ELECTION 2019: Have Justin Trudeau’s Liberals really cut middle-class taxes?

Conservative Andrew Scheer vows to cut bottom bracket, NDP’s Jagmeet Singh targets wealth tax

Talk to your kids about vaping, B.C.’s top doctor says

B.C. health officials have discovered the first vaping-related illness in the province

Alberta truck convoy plans counter-protest at climate rally with Greta Thunberg

United We Roll organizer says similar protest planned for Swedish teen’s event in Edmonton

COLUMN: Halloween shouldn’t be a purity test

The holiday is a time of pretending and fun

Scheer, Trudeau, Singh haggle over potential minority government outcome

If you believe the polls, it appears the Liberals and Conservatives are neck-and-neck

British family deported after ‘accidental’ U.S. border crossing

U.S. officials deny it was mistake, release video of vehicle crossing into Washington from Langley

Kamloops man hangs on to back of stolen truck as suspect speeds away, crashes

The pickup truck was seen leaving the roadway before bursting into flames

‘Sky didn’t fall:’ Police, lawyers still adjusting after pot legalization

Statistics Canada says 541 people were charged under the federal Cannabis Act between Oct. 17, 2018 and the end of the year

Fewer people prescribed opioids in B.C., but other provinces lack data: doctors

Patients who began taking opioids were prescribed smaller doses for shorter duration

Most Read