Debra Sheets stands in front of The Janion building at Wharf Street and Pandora Avenue, where she uses her condominium for short-term rentals. Lauren Boothby/VICTORIA NEWS

Victoria short-term rental operators start GoFundMe campaign for legal costs

Facebook group mounting defence against proposed vacation rental rules

Short-term rental operators are getting ready for battle as the City of Victoria ramps up efforts to regulate the industry.

The Greater Victoria Short Term Rental Alliance, a Facebook group of vacation rental owners and businesses, has started a GoFundMe page with the hopes of creating a legal defence fund to dispute regulations proposed by the city.

A lawyer hired by one of the owners said those challenges could include business licence refusals, perceived high licensing fees, and the prevention of using pre-bought condos for short-term rentals (STRs), in transient accommodation zones that previously allowed them.

The fund had raised $4,350 of its $20,000 goal by press deadline.

Related: Draft short term rental bylaw considered in Victoria

John O’Brien and his partner own both long- and short-term rental properties and have donated to the defence fund. Although his properties are located outside the City’s transient zones – such business operations are not allowed in residential neighbourhoods – he thinks city council should take another look at the regulations.

“I don’t have an adequate pension. If I cannot hang on to my properties, I worry for my old age,” he said.

Related: Facebook group advocates for short term rental owners in Greater Victoria

Debra Sheets has a business licence for her STR unit in The Janion building, which lies in a transient zone. She’s concerned about the licensing fee potentially being as high as $2,500, which is significantly higher than the $110 she paid this year.

“I feel that’s completely and ridiculously unfair,” she said, adding that she would support a legal challenge to the fee. “I’m not doing anything illegal … that’s a lot of income to lose every year, not to mention that it’s decimated the value of my unit.”

Last month, council decided to reconsider the fee amount. Even if the licence fee were lowered, Sheets said, she would support legal challenges from other STR owners.

In September, a bylaw amendment removed STR as a permitted land use in transient zones.

The City is reviewing draft regulations for properties outside those zones that would limit rentals to one or two bedrooms in a primary residence, or to whole units temporarily while the permanent residents are away.

Coun. Geoff Young said he understands the concerns property owners in transient zones have about the licensing fees. While owners outside the transient zones may also be concerned, he said council wants these properties to return to the long-term rental market.

“Many people have concerns that they won’t be allowed to continue [short-term rentals], but in fact, they aren’t allowed to do it now,” he said. “You are not allowed in a normal residential neighbourhood outside the transient zone to rent out a house or a whole carriage house or a whole suite.”

Owners may operate bed and breakfasts using rooms in a home, but that’s the only transient accommodation use allowed, he added.

“Other than that, you should be renting units under the Residential Tenancy Act, [for] at least a month.”

lauren.boothby@vicnews.com

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Southern resident orca L41 considered missing and feared dead

The orca was last spotted in Aug. 2019 when photographed in western Strait of Juan de Fuca

West Shore Pickleball Association serves up idea for View Royal tennis court

‘We don’t have a place to call home’, says avid pickleball member

Indigenous youth arrested during 15-hour occupation to hold press conference Wednesday morning

The speakers are expected to condemn police, RCMP actions towards Indigenous people

VIDEO: Saanich family competes on first season of ‘Family Feud Canada’

Charania family will face off against the Torres family from Hamilton, Ont.

Oak Bay confirms first heritage conservation area

Heritage bylaw for The Prospect neighbourhood in final phase

VIDEO: Feds look to help 126 Canadians quarantined in China for coronavirus

China has confirmed more than 4,500 cases of the new virus, with more than 100 deaths

Off-duty Nanaimo Mountie takes down would-be ice cream thief

Suspect attempted to steal Dilly Bars from Dairy Queen location on Sunday

Nanaimo man hit with pole in dispute over off-leash dog

RCMP say no charges recommended at this time

Was there a tornado on Vancouver Island Monday?

Suspected phone app glitch gives eerie warning

Work has started on Malahat Skywalk, expected completion in 2021

$15-million project expected to open in spring, 2021

Sooke Minor Fastball to host coaching clinic

Clinic ideal for those planning to coach U6 to U18 teams

POLL: Are you concerned about the coronavirus?

The coronavirus which has sparked concern around the globe has now arrived… Continue reading

B.C. reports first coronavirus in Vancouver region

First patient visited Wuhan, China, reported symptoms

Most Read