Colwood applies for $325k to replace stairs in Latoria Creek Park

More than 200 residents sign petition to support grant application

The City of Colwood is applying for a federal grant to help cover the cost of replacing the stairs in Latoria Creek Park.

The total cost of replacing the stairs is $325,000. The grant, which would come from Infrastructure Canada’s Investing in Canada Plan, would cover 73 per cent of the cost of the stairs. The remaining 27 per cent — or $87,000 — would be covered by the City. There would be zero tax increase to residents for this work.

The City said the stairs in Latoria Creek park were closed in April, 2018 when several steps collapsed, making them unsafe for use.

READ MORE: WATCH: Medieval fighters train in Colwood

An assessment was done at that time to determine whether the stairs could be repaired or needed to be replaced.

“The answer was…both,” said a City of Colwood spokesperson via e-mail. “The collapsed stairs were repaired and the stairs reopened, but larger structural issues were identified, resulting in this plan to apply for funding to replace them.”

The grant application is based on replacing the stairs to provide the best life-cycle to cost scenario, meaning the stairs should require little investment in maintenance over a long-term period.

If the grant application is not successful, City of Colwood council will still be able to consider replacement and use the $87,000 in reserves for that purpose.

READ MORE: Community plants trees in Colwood Creek Park this weekend

Last week, the City received more than 200 signatures from residents in support of the grant application.

Colwood has several nature staircases like the one in Latoria Creek Park that connect neighbourhoods and trails in local parks.

Some of the other staircases are located in Havenwood Park, Promenade Park, Outlook Park and Lookout Lake Park on Triangle Mountain.

They are popular spots for outdoor workouts and provide shortcuts through the community, Russell said.

shalu.mehta@goldstreamgazette.com


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Federal government actions hurt Sooke hatchery fundraising efforts

Funding denial comes on the heels of fishing closures

Stop work order at Sooke salmon hatchery devastates volunteers

CRD steps in as some volunteers give up their efforts

Belgian man searches for family of fallen First World War soldier from Victoria

Mark Edward Berton attended Victoria High School and has his grave in Flanders Field

Saanich preschool celebrates 30 years with reunion event

Thousands invited RSVP for Carrot Seed Preschool 30-year celebration

Sidney Museum’s Chief Dan George exhibition sees surge of interest

Four mayors, federal Green leader, Tsartlip reps to attend June 21 opening ceremony

REPLAY: The best videos from across B.C. this week

In case you missed it, here’s a look at the replay-worth highlights from this week in the province

Canadian homebuyers escaping high housing costs by moving to secondary cities

In British Columbia, exurbs have grown in the Hope Valley and Kamloops

Feds lay out proposed new rules for voice, video recorders in locomotives

Transport Canada wants to limit use of recorders to if a crew’s actions led to a crash

Raptors beat Bucks 100-94 to advance to franchise’s first-ever NBA Finals

Leonard has 27 points, 17 boards to lead Toronto past Milwaukee

Third person charged in death of B.C. teen found in torched SUV

Inderdeep Kaur Deo facing charge of accessory after the fact to murder

SOOKE HISTORY: Pemberton Pool namesake remains a mystery

Historian believes it was possibly named after surveyor Joseph Despard Pemberton

Kamloops girl, 9, recovering from carbon monoxide poisoning now out of ICU

Her mother who was sleeping in the same tent with her did not survive

‘I think he’s still alive’: B.C. mom pleads for help finding son last seen a month ago

Family offering $5,000 reward for information leading to the safe return of Tim Delahaye

New poll suggests one-third don’t want politicians to wear religious symbols

Local politicians shouldn’t be allowed to wear hijabs, crucifixes or turbans on the job, survey suggests

Most Read