Conte found fit to stand trial

Sooke man accused of murdering his mother will be tried.

  • Mar. 25, 2012 2:00 p.m.

Alex Conte, will stand trial for the alleged murder of his mother Sarah Nickerson.

Conte was charged with second degree murder after he was arrested on Jan. 8 at his mother’s home at a mobile home park on Otter Point Road. Police had been called to the scene where they found his mother’s body.

The second determination of his ability to stand trial was read in Western Communities provincial court on March 22.

Conte, 21-years-old, was found marginally fit to stand trial on Feb. 16 and Judge Evan Blake ordered the second assessment to determine whether the was suffering from a mental disorder at the time of the murder. He was assessed at the Forensic Psychiatric Hospital in Port Coquitlam.

Conte will appear in B.C. Supreme Court on April 16. Conte appeared in court on the previous two occasions via video conferencing, with some his family in the court room. He first appeared in court on Jan. 12 where the judge ordered the first assessment to ascertain whether Conte was fit to stand trial.

Just Posted

EDITORIAL: Safe water should trump traffic plan

Emergency Malahat route through Sooke watershed a non-starter

VicPD honours seven citizens for their courage and dedication

Civic Service Awards presented at ceremony in Hall of Honour

Savory School music room addition a hit

School’s PAC praises Legion’s generosity

‘It’s just hair:’ Central Saanich woman chops her locks for Wigs for Kids

Wigs for Kids BC will receive two 12-inch braids from Brentwood Bay resident Liza Glynn

New orca calf in Salish Sea ‘healthy and active’

Birth cause for celebration but things still dire genetically, expert says

Second fatal crash occurs in Alberni Valley

Traffic on Highway 4 is being re-routed as investigators are en route

Indigenous energy summit includes session on pipeline ownership options

Steven Saddleback of the Indian Resource Council says a session will feature presentations on financing models

Japanese grand champion Kisenosato retires from sumo

The 32-year-old Kisenosato was the first Japanese-born wrestler in 19 years to gain promotion to sumo’s highest rank

UPDATE: Accused B.C. high school killer found fit to stand trial

Gabriel Klein is accused in the 2016 stabbing death of Letisha Reimer at Abbotsford Senior Secondary

Right-wing, neo-Nazi, white supremacist groups an increasing concern: Goodale

Ten people died in April 2018 when Alek Minassian allegedly drove a rental van down the busy stretch in Toronto

Canadian stock exchanges to conduct lottery for ‘POT’ ticker amid high demand

The symbol became available after fertilizer Potash Corp. officially merged with Agrium Inc. in early 2018

VIDEO: Mattress fire at Cowichan Hospital under investigation

The Cowichan District Hospital was locked down on Tuesday afternoon due to… Continue reading

Most Read