Colby Messer

Denver sex assault charges dropped against Vancouver Island man

DA abandons case against Colby Messer of Port Alberni after new information surfaces

  • Oct. 18, 2016 9:00 a.m.

Sexual assault charges against a Port Alberni man lodged following a football road trip to Denver have been dropped.

The Denver District Attorney’s office announced the decision in a media release Monday.

“New information developed in this case that led to a determination that those charges could no longer be proven beyond a reasonable doubt,” the release states.”They were dismissed today.”

Colby James Messer, 30, was charged last April with six counts of sexual assault following an incident at a Denver hotel. Four of those charges were then dropped in August after a preliminary hearing.

He pled not guilty on Oct. 3 to two counts of sexual assault and overcoming the victim’s will.

According to Colorado court documents, Messer was accused of assaulting a 27-year-old female late at night on Nov. 14, 2015 at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in Denver.

In statements to the police, the victim said she had been drinking with Messer and several of his companions before ending up in the hotel room, adding that she did not know how she got there.

The victim told police that she was left bleeding after being assaulted with several objects in the hotel room. She left the hotel room and went to a hospital, where she reported the assault to the Denver Police Department.

Denver District Attorney’s Office spokeswoman Lynn Kimbrough stated that Messer was arrested on March 4 in Las Vegas upon returning to the U.S.

Messer waived his rights to extradition and appeared in in the Denver County Courtroom on March 23 for his first advisement.

Prior to Monday’s announcement, Messer had been slated to appear in Denver court again on Nov. 28. His bail conditions had been lessened to $200,000 bond and he was allowed to reside in Seattle with no GPS monitoring.

Three other men from Vancouver Island were also considered suspects in the investigation but charges were never laid against them.

Just Posted

VIDEO: Tent city moves to Woodwynn Farm, arrests made

The group is asking the government to provide housing for 60 tent city members

Saanich passenger caught smoking weed in a car issued $230 fine

Saanich police did a field sobriety test on the driver and deemed it safe for him to drive

Cougar spotted Saturday morning in Saanich

Police found paw prints consistent with cougars in the area

B.C. Guide dogs is looking for volunteer puppy raisers

Labrador retrievers need to learn obedience and socialization before heading to work

Tommy Chong says cannabis legalization makes him proud to be a Canadian

Legendary marijuana advocate and comedian celebrates cultural milestone at Kelowna event

POLL: Do you support amalgamation for communities in the Capital Region?

Residents in Victoria and Saanich will be voting on Oct. 20 on… Continue reading

Payette invites critics to ‘come and spend a few days’ with her

Governor General Julie Payette made her first official to B.C. back in March

More pot stores expected in B.C. in coming ‘weeks and months’: attorney general

Attorney General David Eby and Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth visited the new BC Cannabis Store in the province’s Interior

Telus launches charitable foundation to help vulnerable youth

The Telus Friendly Future Foundation complements other social initiatives by the company, including Mobility for Good

Police say suspicious death of B.C. artist ruled a homicide

Patrick Zube Aylward’s body was found in a residence on a rural road outside of Seton Portage, west of Lillooet, B.C.

Temporary roads being built in areas affected by landslide in northern B.C.

Emergency Management BC news release says Disaster Financial Assistance is available to eligible residents of the Peace River Regional District who may have been affected by the landslides

B.C. tickets win big in Lotto Max draw

Jackpot carried over; B.C. tickets share Max Millions prizes

Most Read