District adding one more RCMP officer

New officer will bring local police force to 16 members

Sooke RCMP is adding to its complement of police officers.

District of Sooke council has formally requested a change in its RCMP contract with the Justice Ministry, which will see one officer added by next fall.

The local RCMP detachment currently has 15 members. Eleven of those officers are funded by district taxpayers, the remaining four, or rural officers, are paid by the province.

It costs $165,000 to fully fund an RCMP position. Sooke pays 70 per cent of that cost, or $114,200. The remaining 30 per cent is funded by the province.

The Sooke RCMP detachment serves an area from Sooke to Port Renfrew, extending as far as Port Renfrew (82 kilometres west of Sooke).

Sooke operates closer to minimum than other detachments on the Island, said RCMP Staff Sgt. Jeff McArthur, adding Sidney with a comparable population has 32 officers.

Over the last 18  months the Sooke detachment has been operating at full strength, or even above normal strength, due to staff movement.

In the past the RCMP commander has called in Mounties on overtime, including from other detachments, as well as reserve constables to keep sufficient staffing levels.

The new police officer position to the detachment still will not give Sooke 24/7 coverage in Sooke.

McArthur said coverage is always available, as officers are on call, but it could mean in the early morning hours a response to a call may take longer.

“In the [Capital Regional District] we’re the only community without 24/7 coverage. It makes us a little more vulnerable to property crime,” he said.

Mayor Maja Tait said the detachment continues to adapt to the needs of the community and responds as needed.

 

 

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

GVPL staggers reopening of three more branches in Oak Bay, Saanich and Victoria

More Greater Victoria Library branches to reopen in August

Gaps in the system: Youth cope with homelessness in Greater Victoria

Four-part series will look at youth homelessness in the region

Museum asks British Columbians for COVID-19 nature observations

Royal BC Museum collects information as part of ongoing pandemic project

Oak Bay pool to reopen Aug. 17

Swimming, other activities return this month

Rolling the dice on the patina of old copper

At the Galleries: Summer days continue

53 new COVID-19 cases, no new deaths cap off week of high infection rates in B.C.

Roughly 1,500 people are self-isolating because they either have COVID-19 or have been exposed to it

Missing teen visiting Courtenay found safe

She had last been seen going for a walk on Aug. 6

Moving on: Tanev scores 11 seconds into OT as Canucks oust Wild

Vancouver beats Minnesota 5-4 to move into first round of NHL playoffs

Fitness non-profit challenges citizens to invent a game to be physically active

The campaign was launched after a study showed only 4.8 per cent of children and youths in Canada met required standards of the 24-hour movement guidelines

Gene editing debate takes root with organic broccoli, new UBC research shows

Broccoli is one of the best-known vegetables with origins in this scientific haze

VIDEO: U.S. Air Force pilot does fly-by for B.C. son amid COVID border separation

Sky-high father-son visit plays out over White Rock Pier

3 Vancouver police officers test positive for COVID after responding to large party

Union president says other officers are self-isolating due to possible exposure

Vancouver Island team takes on wacky challenges of world’s largest scavenger hunt

Greatest International Scavenger Hunt taking place Aug. 1-8

New mothers with COVID-19 should still breastfeed: Canada’s top doctor

Dr. Theresa Tam made the recommendation during World Breastfeeding Awareness Week

Most Read