The Sooke Detachment RCMP continue to remind the public to refrain from leaving valuables and personal items in their vehicles. These items are often tempting to thieves, and the resulting damage to door locks and windows is costly and inconvenient.
With the start of the Christmas season, many shoppers are purchasing expensive items and storing them in their vehicles. Simple prevention is the easiest remedy. The public is reminded of some of the following precautions to keep you, your vehicle and your valuables safe:
• Do not leave your possessions/purchases in plain view in your vehicle
• When possible, remove your purchases from your vehicle, especially after arriving home
• Invest in a reputable anti-theft device or immobilizer
• Keep your vehicle’s spare key in your wallet or purse and not hidden on the body of your vehicle
• Take your personal possessions with you
• Park in well-lit areas
• When at home, use motion-sensor lighting to keep your doorways and driveways lit
• Engrave electronics and other valuable items with your driver’s license number.
Above all, it takes a community’s Involvement and commitment to assist police in apprehending these individuals. If you observe anything you feel is suspicious in nature, call the police immediately.
Anyone with information regarding thefts from vehicles or the location of stolen property are encouraged to please contact Sooke RCMP at 250-642-5341 or call crimestoppers at 1-800-222- TIPS .