John Barsby Secondary School is one of several Nanaimo schools under hold-and-secure today, Jan. 18, after a student threatened self-harm. (News Bulletin photo)

UPDATE: Hold-and-secure lifted after Nanaimo RCMP locate student who threatened self-harm

Eight schools were under hold-and-secure orders after possible threat Thursday, Jan. 18

A hold-and-secure on eight schools in south Nanaimo has been lifted.

Nanaimo RCMP advised that a youth, who had threatened self-harm, has been located. Nanaimo RCMP spokesman Gary O’Brien told the News Bulletin police are assessing the youth’s well-being.

Nanaimo school district put John Barsby Secondary as well as Georgia Avenue, Park Avenue, Bayview, Brechin, Pauline Haarer, Fairview and Cilaire elementary schools under a hold-and-secure order as a precaution this morning.

It meant entrance doors were locked and no one was able enter or exit the buildings, but classes continued as usual inside.

Nanaimo RCMP spokesman Gary O’Brien told the News Bulletin a student was threatening self-harm. The RCMP would not speak to the nature of the self-harm.

Dale Burgos, school district spokesman, said there was a possible threat in the community but would not comment on the threat, which was still being investigated. John Barsby went into hold-and-secure at 10:30 a.m. this morning and other schools followed just before 11:30 a.m.

“This is as a precaution because it’s not just localized to one area, so we’re just making sure that we cover most areas in the district,” Burgos said of the threat.

The school district sent out a social media message just after noon to say the hold and secure had been lifted at all schools.



news@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Esquimalt man faces four charges of sexual assault, investigators suspect more victims

71-year old Kit Wong practiced acupuncture from his home during the time of the assaults

Heat and smoke raises health risks

Rick Stiebel - Sooke News Mirror Health risks arising from heat and… Continue reading

Sooke fire chief in right place at right time

Second bin fire this year a concern

Pet-A-Palooza a good reason to ‘pawse’ this weekend in Victoria

Puppies, goats, wiener dog races and more on the grounds of St. Ann’s Academy Aug. 18-19

B.C. declares state of emergency as more than 560 wildfires rage

This is only the fourth state of emergency ever issued during a fire season

Interim GoFundMe payments approved in Humboldt Broncos crash

$50,000 to be given to each of the 13 survivors and each family of the 16 people who died

Altidore nets 3 as Toronto drubs Whitecaps 5-2

Vancouver falls 7-4 on aggregate in Canadian Championship final

Ottawa intervenes to get B.C. ball player, 13, to Little League World Series

Before immigration issue was resolved, Dio Gama was out practicing the game he loves Wednesday

Pet goldfish invades small B.C. lake

Pinecrest Lake is located between Whistler and Squamish

Mounties deployed to help B.C. communities affected by wildfires

RCMP officers heading to places particularly within central, northern and southern B.C.

Quebec sets aside $900 million for companies hurt by U.S. tariffs

Premier Philippe Couillard says his government will make $863 million available over five years

B.C. company patents Sasquatch, the country’s first homegrown hops plant

Created by Hops Connect, Sasquatch hops are being grown commercially for the first time in B.C.

Farmers ponder impact of alternatives to pesticides being banned

The nicotine-based pesticides scientists have linked to a rising number of honey bee deaths will be phased out of use in Canada over a three year period starting in 2021.

Most Read