A home-owner digging on his property with an excavator caused a gas leak Sunday afternoon.
Saanich Deputy Fire Chief Dan Wood said the leak happened in the 700 block of Daffodil Avenue in the Marigold area and immediately affected about four to five houses, adding it is not clear how many houses overall suffered service interruptions.
Wood said the home-owner had received information about the location of the line, but not the depth before starting to dig.
BC Fortis has since restored service.
Wood said incidents such as Sunday’s actually happen an estimating about two or three times per month.
Private residents or commercial contractors can prevent them in the first place by calling for information first before digging, he said. When they do happen, affected parties should go outside (when indoors), refrain from using matches, lighters, electrical switches, or any other items can be a source of ignition, and call FortisBC Emergency Line at 1-800-663-9911 (24 hours) or 911.
The EpiPen Jr is not affected by this shortage
Elida Peers | Contributed
The IIO noted the matter will not be referred to crown counsel for consideration of charges.
Reader says no wisdom at all in mall expansion
Kim XO, helps to keep you looking good on Fashion Fridays on the Black Press Media Network
Anonymous donor steps up with $1 million donation during fundraising campaign