Beach Drive was briefly shut down Thursday, Dec. 10 due to a gas leak.
Police and fire responded to a location between the Oak Bay Beach Hotel and the Oak Bay Marina, just before 2 p.m.
A resident inside a home reported the gas leak.
“He called 911, we showed up and shut [the gas] off, and checked the inside of the building to ensure it was clear,” said Deputy Fire Chief Darren Hughes.
“But before we allow him back in, Fortis will ensure the safety of the area with their very sensitive instruments.”
The source of the gas leak was found to be outside the home. No one was evacated as officials quickly determined the gas was heading up and out.
Beach Drive was reopened to traffic at roughly 2:30 p.m.
— Oak Bay News (@OakBayNews) January 10, 2019