Goldstream Park campground remains closed with no word from the Ministry of Environment when it will reopen. (Lindsey Horsting/News staff)

Langford mayor calls for campground cleanup

Lack of communication from the Ministry makes residents ‘suspicious’

Residents wonder when Goldstream Park campground will reopen, but Langford Mayor Stew Young said cleanup should have been done already.

The campground remains closed with no word from the Ministry of Environment as to when it will reopen. The tent city group, Camp Namegans, settled in the campground for two weeks until their departure Oct. 2.

RELATED: Goldstream Park campground remains closed

Young hasn’t had any communication from the Ministry and said the neighbourhood behind the campground wants cleanup of the park done right away so they can enjoy it again.

“It’s devastated them, it’s their playground, it’s why some of them moved there,” he said. “It’s terrible and should have never happened in the first place.”

READ ALSO: Homeless campers packing to leave private Saanich property

Since tent city set up in Goldstream Park it has cost Langford and the province money, he said, while the federal government has done nothing. Young said it’s the responsibility of the provincial governments across Canada to get homeless people the help they need and into the appropriate facilities.

“There’s no line item in a municipal budget for this,” he said.

Young pointed to the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing, Ministry of Mental Health and Addictions and Ministry of Social Development and Poverty, that have a combined budget of just over $3.8 billion, to be dealing with this problem.

RELATED: Homeless campers pack to leave private Saanich property

Andrew Brown, a Langford resident near the campground, said the lack of communication by the Ministry of Environment makes residents suspicious.

“There’s something we’re not being told and there’s no reason for it,” he said.

Brown used to walk his dog in the park, but because access has been cut off at the trails, he now has to access them off the Trans Canada Highway.

“The main gain is locked off with four or five security guards which is a huge expense to the public with no benefit and it’s bloody inconvenient for us,” Brown said, noting the community is furious that the park is still closed. He has noticed many residents haven’t been out walking since convenient access to the park has been cut off.


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

lindsey.horsting@goldstreamgazette.com

Just Posted

Man who killed Langford teen attended her memorial service, demonstrates little remorse

Parole Board of Canada documents reveal factors in parole decision

UPDATED: Oak Bay father takes stand, denies killing young daughters

Andrew Berry has plead not guilty to the December 2017 deaths of his two daughters

Victoria contractors file civil claims for work on Sooke Tim Hortons, Petro Canada

Contractors file civil suits against Petromaxx, T’Sou-ke First Nation

Relative of man found dead in Saanich says he was missing for years

RCMP and a private detective had been searching for him since 2012

Saanich Police warn of counterfeit money being used

Several fake $100 bills have been reported in Greater Victoria

VIDEO: Title of 25th Bond movie is ‘No Time to Die’

The film is set to be released in April 2020

Sooke’s Old-Fashioned Country Picnic set for Saturday

The free event combines music, kids activities, food and fun

New study suggests autism overdiagnosed: Canadian expert

Laurent Mottron: ‘Autistic people we test now are less and less different than typical people’

Trans Mountain gives contractors 30 days to get workers, supplies ready for pipeline

Crown corporation believes the expansion project could be in service by mid-2022

Rosemount cooked diced chicken linked to listeria case in B.C.

The symptoms of listeria include vomiting, nausea, fever, muscle aches

B.C. seniors allowed more choice to stay in assisted living

Province doesn’t need to wait for a complaint to investigate care, Adrian Dix says

Retired B.C. fisherman wins record $60M Lotto Max jackpot

Joseph Katalinic won the biggest Lotto Max prize ever awarded

Island manslaughter suspect found not guilty in Supreme Court

Court accepts accused’s argument of self-defence for 2017 incident in Courtenay

Most Read