More than 90 trees were mistakenly cut down in Cuthbert Holmes Park on July 14. (Photo submitted by Dorothy Chambers)

More than 90 trees were mistakenly cut down in Cuthbert Holmes Park on July 14. (Photo submitted by Dorothy Chambers)

More than 50 trees ‘incorrectly’ felled in Saanich park

‘For this to happen is just devastating,’ councillor says

A stop-work order was issued shortly after more than 90 trees were mistakenly felled in Cuthbert Holmes Park on July 14.

Early on Wednesday, July 15, Saanich resident and environmental advocate Dorothy Chambers counted some 93 trees cut down behind Pearkes Recreation Centre.

Saanich later clarified that parks staff confirmed a total of 56 trees were incorrectly removed. Many of them were multi-stem trees – more than one trunk per tree.

The trees were cut as part of construction for a new daycare for Saanich Neighbourhood Place, said District spokesperson Megan Catalano.

The contractor received a tree removal permit from Saanich to remove one bylaw protected tree and a number of non-bylaw protected trees were also to be removed for the development, Catalano said.

“Unfortunately, the contractor made an error and removed trees which were not in the area where tree removal was to occur,” she said. “A stop-work order was placed on the site.”

In 2017, the previous council issued a development permit to Saanich Neighbourhood Place for the new, single-storey daycare facility to be built on the parking lot behind the arena. At the time, council also approved a $253,000 grant to assist with the cost of the project which was estimated at about $1.9 million.

READ ALSO: Saanich forks out $253,000 for non-profit daycare

Coun. Judy Brownoff was shocked to hear 93 trees had been cut. She was a member of the 2017 council and recalls after the permit was issued, Saanich staff toured the site with the contractor, Knappett Projects Inc., and an arborist to specify which trees could not be removed.

Brownoff said council was told the new building would be on the existing parking lot asphalt.

Two days before the stop-work order was issued, Chambers received an email from Saanich Parks, Recreation and Community Services saying Knappett contractors would begin work on July 14. After work began, a neighbour reached out to Chambers with concerns that trees were coming down behind his home near the Pearkes arena. She assumed the noise was part of regular work and possibly the installation of tree-protection fencing but she felt uneasy and went to check on Wednesday morning.

READ ALSO: Saanich council clears path for new daycare facility

After counting the felled trees, Chambers called the District of Saanich and reported the incident. Municipal staff then issued a stop-work order as the trees were cut in violation of the tree protection bylaw.

“All of us in Saanich are horrified,” Brownoff said. “For this to happen is just devastating.”

She added that council had “heard nothing about this project” for years until Chambers reached out about the trees that had been cut down.

“This was meant to be a positive project to introduce more daycare spaces to the community … now it’s environmental degradation,” Brownoff said.

Brownoff expects municipal staff will submit a report to council on the matter – likely to be discussed at a closed meeting due to the legal nature of the incident.

On July 17, Catalano said municipal staff were working with the contractor to “outline the problem and provide next steps” for removing the stop-work order. She added that there will likely be penalties.

Editors note: This story was updated July 21 to confirm the number of trees incorrectly removed.


@devonscarlett
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

devon.bidal@saanichnews.com

District of Saanich

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

SD62 bus driver Kerry Zado said it’s common to see drivers lose their patience and pass by his bus while he’s picking up students during the morning commute. (Aaron Guillen/News Staff)
School bus driver laments motorists who pass while red lights are flashing

All buses in Sooke School District outfitted with stop sign cameras

Nearly 2000 BC Hydro customers in East Sooke lost power around 1 p.m. on Jan. 20. (BC Hydro)
UPDATE: Power restored to nearly 2000 East Sooke residents after blasting

Blasting caused power pole to move and faulted the circuit Wednesday

(Black Press Media files)
Transport Canada not budging on enclosed deck rules, despite calls from BC Ferries union

There have been at least 23 cases of the U.K. variant detected in Canada, four of which are in B.C.

Victoria police are seeking home surveillance video and witnesses following a prowling incident in Esquimalt Jan. 20. (Black Press Media file photo)
Esquimalt prowler removes air conditioner, peers into person’s home

VicPD is seeking video footage, witnesses following Jan. 20 incident

The Victoria Fire Department extinguished a 15 foot tent fire in the 500-block of Ellice Street Jan. 19. (Black Press Media File Photo)
Victoria police investigating after 15-foot flames engulf tent

Flames damage nearby business in 500-block of Ellice Street

Maj.-Gen. Dany Fortin, vice-president of logistics and operations at the Public Health Agency of Canada, speaks at a news conference on the COVID-19 pandemic in Ottawa, on Friday, Jan. 15, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Justin Tang
B.C. records 500 new COVID-19 cases Wednesday, 14 deaths

Outbreak at Surrey Pretrial jail, two more in health care

Vancouver Canucks’ Travis Hamonic grabs Montreal Canadiens’ Josh Anderson by the face during first period NHL action in Vancouver, Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
Horvat scores winner as Canucks dump Habs 6-5 in shootout thriller

Vancouver and Montreal clash again Thursday night

A suspect has been arrested in connection with fires at Drinkwater Elementary (pictured) and École Mount Prevost. (Kevin Rothbauer/Citizen)
Arson suspect arrested after fires at Cowichan Valley schools

Drinkwater Elementary and Mount Prevost schools hit within a week

A woman writes a message on a memorial mural wall by street artist James “Smokey Devil” Hardy during a memorial to remember victims of illicit drug overdose deaths on International Overdose Awareness Day, in the Downtown Eastside of Vancouver, on Monday, August 31, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
B.C. paramedics respond to record-breaking number of overdose calls in 2020

On the front lines, COVID-19 has not only led to more calls, but increased the complexity

Nanaimo RCMP are seeking the public’s help after a man allegedly assaulted a clerk at James General Store on Victoria Road on Jan. 18. (Submitted photo)
Suspect screams at customer then assaults store clerk in Nanaimo

RCMP asking for information about Jan. 18 incident at James General Store

Chartwell Malaspina Care Residence in Nanaimo. (News Bulletin file photo)
Two Nanaimo care-home residents have died during COVID-19 outbreak

Death reported Monday was the second related to Chartwell Malaspina outbreak, says Island Health

Rod Bitten of Union Bay won $500,000 in the Lotto Max draw on Jan. 15. Photo supplied
Vancouver Island electrician gets shocking surprise with $500K Extra win

Rod Bitten has been hard at work with home renovations, which is… Continue reading

Eighteen-year-old Aidan Webber died in a marine accident in 2019. He was a Canadian Junior BMX champion from Nanaimo. (Submitted)
Inadequate safety training a factor in teen BMX star’s workplace death in 2019

Aidan Webber was crushed by a barge at a fish farm near Port Hardy

Oyster River Fire Rescue members were called out to a suspicious fire in Black Creek. Two vehicles parked at a private residence were destroyed by fire. Photo courtesy Oyster River Fire Rescue
Suspicious fire destroys two vehicles at Vancouver Island residence

Oyster River Fire Rescue personnel were dispatched to a fire at a… Continue reading

Most Read