Public boat launch construction halted

Work has ground to a halt on the public boat launch on the property adjacent to the Prestige Hotel.

CAO Evan Parliament

Work has ground to a halt on the public boat launch on the property adjacent to the Prestige Hotel.

It appears all of the necessary referrals were not received before work began on the construction of the $1.6 million boat launch, dock and float.

An application process, which began in November, 2010, for a foreshore lease has not yet been granted from the provincial Integrated Land management Bureau (ILMB) under the Ministry of Natural Resource Operations.

The senior land officer for the coast operations division of the Ministry of Natural Resource Operations, Doug Berry, stated in an email to Councillor Herb Haldane, that the province cannot authorize any work on Crown land/foreshore unless a land tenure has been issued/signed by the province.

In response District of Sooke CAO Evan Parliament said it was “quite a complex and convoluted process” and there were two processes at work — the federal Department of Fisheries and Ocean and the province.

The province has a referral process and one of the key referrals has to come from the First Nations in regard to Crown land or water.

“The District of Sooke consulted with the T’Sou-ke and got a letter of support and we were told we need the approval of Beecher Bay because of the Douglas Treaty. That process can take a long time,” said Parliament. He said they weren’t aware that they needed to consult with the Beecher Bay First Nation.

“Had we known this the rock work would have waited,” he stated.

“When we first heard this we went to Beecher Bay and Chief Russell Chips said that if T’Sou-ke supports it — we support it.”

Parliament said the issue is complicated by the fact that the bands are currently in treaty negotiations.

The rock fill into the harbour took place because the DFO gave the district a fish window which has a deadline of February 15, 2011.

“The contractor was simply trying to meet the DFO “fish window” deadline,” said Parliament.

In order to cooperate with the ILMB, Parliament authorized the boat launch contractor to cease operation until the tenure is granted.

Meanwhile neighbouring Jock’s Dock, has or will apply for a revised tenure license because they encroach on the district’s foreshore lease area. Both the district and Jock’s have agreed on any access and encroachment issues, said Parliament.

The federal grant, which the district obtained to build the boat launch, had a March 31, 2011 deadline for completion of the work and this has been extended to October 2011.

The problem Haldane said he had with this is that, “developers are expected to play by the rules and the district is doing stuff without permission.”

The $1.6 million public boat launch being built next to the Prestige Hotel site is funded by a $605,768 federal government grant, $200,000 along with a $500,000 “in-kind” contribution from Prestige and $300,000 from the District of Sooke.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Sooke temporary homeless shelter packs up early

Occupants to leave facility by June 22

Greater Victoria transit usage sees gradual rise

Ridership still down 66 per cent compared to last year

‘The face of Belmont’: Custodial staff at Langford school pivot to support parents, students

Staff serve as point of contact for parents, students with school

Government Street becomes pedestrian-priority corridor

One block of downtown street closed to cars entirely

Name of victims ‘ripped down’ from Victoria display

Organizers feel the act is ‘malicious’

March dental conference key to many of B.C.’s COVID-19 cases

Early infections from China, Iran were quickly contained

Facing changes together: Your community, your journalists

The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the world in ways that would have… Continue reading

Cortes Island affordable housing project hangs by a thread

Regional decision makers resort to COVID-19 concerns despite virtual meeting option and push hearing to September

MAP: Dr. Henry reveals which B.C. regions have seen most COVID-19 cases

B.C. health officials release a first look at how the novel coronavirus has reached all corners of the province

North Island recreation camping site closed due to vandalism

Damage happens every year, forcing site manager to reallocate improvement budget to repairs

Tla-o-qui-aht First Nation woman, 26, fatally shot by police in Edmundston, N.B.

Police were conducting a well-being check at the time of the incident

Seniors to receive up to $500 in promised COVID-19 emergency aid in early July

The Liberal government first promised the extra help in mid-May, but had to create a new system to deliver the aid

VIDEO: Revelstoke bear wanders into Animal House pet store

Staff got ready to chase it out with a broom

Man found dead in his tent at Island homeless camp

Facebook posts tell of personal struggles and attempts to stay clean and sober

Most Read