Mould can be seen throughout the bathroom in this Abbotsford home that has been advertised for rent.

Rental home features mould and ‘rat poo’

Fraser Valley man horrified after viewing house for rent

An Abbotsford man who looked at a rental home this weekend was so horrified by the mould and run-down conditions he witnessed that he is sharing photos of the residence as a warning to others.

Jason Jones and his wife found an ad on Craigslist for the four-bedroom home in west Abbotsford.

The couple and their two kids are in need of a new place because the rent in their current home is going up more than they can afford for their one-income family.

The rental home was being advertised for $1,600 a month, and they made an appointment to do a walk-through.

Jones said they were told that the home was ready to be moved into.

In the area’s tight rental market – the vacancy rate was listed at just 0.2 per cent in November – the couple was excited to potentially find a great deal that suited their needs.

But their excitement quickly turned to horror.

“We came across minor mould in each room, a rotten deck and old tenant stuff everywhere. Rat poo (was) in the bedroom,” Jones said.

He said the landlord was not willing to make any repairs, and wanted the tenants to move out after a year, with no lease agreement.

Jones said another family from Langley also came to view the home, and told him that the landlord owns another house in Abbotsford which they had viewed and which was equally as bad.

Jones is dismayed about the situation because the high cost of renting a suitable – and safe – home seems to be out of range for many families.

He’s worried that someone will eventually end up renting the home because they have nowhere else to go, and will end up getting sick from the mould.

“I am trying to stop these things from happening to others. It’s not fair. It’s just going to get worse if they (landlords) get away with it,” Jones said.

Section 32 of the Residential Tenancy Act of BC states that a landlord must keep their property in a “state of decoration and repair that complies with the health, safety and housing standards required by law,” we all as making it “suitable for occupation by a tenant.”

Health Canada says the potential risks of exposure to mould include allergic reactions, wheezing and shortness of breath, symptoms of asthma, and eye, nose and throat irritation.

“Breathing in large amounts of these spores and the by-products they produce and negatively impact your health,” the agency states.

 

This photo shows what is believed to be rat feces along the floor of one of the bedrooms.

Mould along the ceiling.

Just Posted

Peace Walk fundraiser for hospice runs on Sunday

Take a walk, have a snack, and help donate to a local charity

Thousands attend 31st TD Art Gallery Paint-In

Artists display their work along 20 blocks of Moss Street

Details scarce as union confirms probe underway involving Victoria care homes

Island Health, VicPD offer no comment on report of investigation into alleged sexual assaults

Swimmer set for double crossing of Georgia Strait

Jill Yoneda’s Aug. 3 swim will benefit Canuck Place

Sport fishing ban protest organizers trolling for attention

Hook-less anglers hitting Sooke area waters July 29 to protest DFO’s summer fin-fish ban

BC Games: Day 2 comes to an end

Hundreds of medals have been handed out at the 2018 BC Summer Games in the Cowichan Valley

Brush fire breaks out west of Port Alberni

Fire forces partial closure of Highway 4 heading to Ucluelet and Tofino

Five fun things to do this weekend

From a paint in to festivals, there are lots of fun events taking place this weekend

Accident on Vancouver Island after artillery gun rolls down hill and damages taxi

Witness says accident happend about 1 p.m. Saturday; RCMP investigating

B.C. mining company, involved in 2014 spill, ordered to pay lost wages

Mount Polley Mining Company must pay wages to 26 employees who were laid off without proper notice

Two significant wildfires burning in southeastern B.C.

More than 20 fires were burning in the Southeast Fire Centre as of Saturday afternoon

Volunteers provide the glue that keeps BC Games moving

The 2018 Cowichan Summer Games had more than 2,300 volunteers on hand across Vancouver Island

No Name brand chicken nuggets recalled due to possible salmonella

Canadian Food Inspection Agency says multiple illnesses reported in B.C., Alberta and Ontario

Lodeiro scores twice to help Sounders beat Whitecaps 2-0

Seattle’s Nicolas Lodeiro opened the scoring in the fifth minute when he converted a penalty kick

Most Read