Christmas came early for several Sooke community groups.
District of Sooke council awards $29,250 in biannual community grants.
Among the recipients:
- Sooke Christmas Bureau – $7,000 for Christmas food hampers
- Sooke Food Bank – $4,100 for phones, storage totes and signs
- Team Sooke/Juan de Fuca Refugee Sponsorship Committee – $3,600 for bus passes provided the buses are not accessible through the B.C. Community Social Planning Council
- Sooke Community Choir – $1,050 for piano accessories
- Sooke Harbour Players – $3,500 for theatre props, costumes, etc.
- Sooke Bluegrass Festival – $5,000 for festival costs
- Sooke Food Bank – $5,000
Several art group applications were referred to the Sooke Program of the Arts for further review.