Sooke RCMP pushes to hire 2 more police officers

If approved, the request could cost province $330K per year

The RCMP is pushing to hire two new officers for the Sooke region – a request that could cost the province $330,000 per year.

Staff Sgt. Jeff McArthur told Sooke council recently that the new positions are needed to deal with growth and an increasing number of complex policing issues.

The new positions would be for rural duties.

The Sooke RCMP detachment has 17 officers, four are funded by the province for rural duties, but all work in and around Sooke as required.

RELATED: Mounties strain to keep staffing on pace with Sooke Region’s growth

Over the last two years, Sooke council has hired two additional officers – one arrived last fall, the other is expected here by the end of April.

It costs $165,000 to fund one police officer position. The province pays 70 per cent of the cost, or $114,200. The remaining 30 per cent is funded by the province. Any position deemed rural is paid fully by the province.

RELATED: Sooke faces challenges of growth

Census data released last year revealed the Sooke region is among one of the fastest growing in the country.

Sooke council would like to see 24-hour police coverage seven days a week, but for that to happen the detachment would need a minimum of four new officers, McArthur said in an interview last year.

The Sooke RCMP detachment covers an area from East Sooke to Port Renfrew.



editor@sookenewsmirror.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Saanich walks the walk on crosswalk after student lobbied for improvements

Elanor Teel approached first Saanich about the intersection in March 2017

Grange Road residents optimistic CRD will change pipeline plans

Marigold residents are concerned about the loss of up to 50 trees

Saanich plans to turn former Emily Carr library into office space

Report recommends more than $2 million for renovations at former library and other buildings

Salmon runs produce highs and lows on Vancouver Island this year

Chinook salmon did particularly well on the Island this year

Victoria police stop drunk driver who offered up burger instead of ID

Roadblock checks over the weekend found at least two other impaired drivers

VIDEO: This B.C. school leads country in vaccine donations to UNICEF

Federally funded Kids Boost Immunity uses quizzes to earn vaccinations

Boeser scores 3, Pettersson has 5 points as Canucks hammer Blues

Vancouver picks up impressive 6-1 win in St. Louis

Battle over Saanich’s Haro Woods not yet over, says report

Draft management plan calls on Saanich to spend $142,500 to improve area

In Canada, the term ‘nationalism’ doesn’t seem to have a bad rap. Here’s why

Data suggest that Canadians don’t see the concept of nationalism the way people do in the United States

Small quake recorded west of Vancouver Island

No injuries or tsunami warning after 5.4 rumble felt some 400 kilometres from Victoria

B.C. suspends Chinese portion of Asian forestry trade mission due to Huawei arrest

Huawei’s chief financial officer Meng Wanzhou was detained at the request of U.S. in Vancouver

2-year investigations nets $900,000 in refunds for payday loan customers

Consumer Protection BC says selling practices were ‘aggressive and deceptive’

China: Canada’s detention of Huawei exec ‘vile in nature’

Huawei is the biggest global supplier of network gear for phone and internet company

Upset student causes safety plan to be enacted at Island Elementary School

Child’s behaviour results in students being held in classrooms until order restored

Most Read