Last week the province agreed to let B.C. school districts keep $25 million they were required to cut from administration.

Sooke school district receives $450,000 funding boost

The province agrees to let B.C. school districts keep $25 million they were required to cut from administration.

The Sooke school district will receive $450,401 to reduce the sting of more than $1.7 million in budget cuts.

On Tuesday, the province agreed to let B.C. school districts keep $25 million they were required to cut from administration.

In the Sooke district, the promise of more funds comes on the heels of a process that resulted in significant cuts to reach a balanced budget.

Education Minister Mike Bernier announced May 31 that school districts can keep the money they’ve saved to spend as they see fit.

“At this point, we’re glad for the money. We wish the amount was higher,” said Bob Phillips, Sooke board of education chair.

“We’re really, really glad that we can use the money the way we want to use it. So the staff will look at the services we had to take out of our budget.”

The Sooke district was looking at cutting several educational assistants, librarian, school coordinators and counsellor positions as well as school programs to make up the budget deficit.

Provincially, the group Families Against Cuts to Education says 31 districts were reporting a combined shortfall of more than $85 million in their budgets for next year.

Adding to the shortfalls across the province are mandatory technology upgrades at $24 million this year, salary increase for non-union staff, and other cost increases including rising B.C. Hydro rates and MSP premiums.

B.C. NDP leader and Juan de Fuca MLA John Horgan said despite the budget windfall, the Liberal government still continues to underfund public education.

“This is the least that [Premier] Christy Clark could do. The least. This is not new funding and I think that parents and students will see through this cynical election ploy,” Horgan said in a statement.

“There are no cheques going to local school boards. All that the B.C. Liberals are saying is that they won’t be clawing back the $25 million that they were originally demanding from schools across B.C.”

 

Just Posted

Shaving minutes off commutes among the goals for Victoria bus lanes

Work on southbound Douglas Street lane between Tolmie and Hillside getting underway

VicPD nab distracted driver with expired licence

On the phone while in motion, man had overdue fines from driving while impaired

Working for the common good

Film Awareness night examines alternate business models

Cooking with ‘Killer’

Reporter Dawn Gibson shares some of her favourite meals to make

WEB POLL: Would you support a B.C.-wide ban on single-use plastic bags?

Would you support a B.C.-wide ban on single-use plastic bags?… Continue reading

Tsunami warnings 101: Canada

Here are some things to know about tsunami alerts in Canada and how they work

Castlegar homicide victim identified

The victim was 38-year-old Jordan Workman of Castlegar, B.C.

B.C. Liberal leadership candidates get one last prime-time pitch

Leadership campaign to be decided in Feb. 3 vote

How high is safe from a tsunami? Four metres above sea level

Be disaster ready with food, water and clothing for seven days

Victoria Film Festival set for triumphant return to the big screen

Two decades on, diverse film lineups keep movie-goers coming to the box office

Andrew Scheer on trade, Trump and Trudeau

Canada’s Conservative leader begins three-day visit to B.C.

Victoria’s most wanted for the week of Jan. 23

Crime Stoppers will pay a reward of up to $2,000 for information that leads to arrests or the seizure of property or drug

Victims restrained, sex toys and cash stolen from B.C. adult store

Armed suspects sought in adult store robbery

Most Read