Sooke won’t get ocean spill response base

Harbour to shallow for draft of boats, says federal agency

The federal agency responsible for spill clean up on the B.C. coast will acquire five new bases along the South Coast oil tanker route and add 100 new jobs if the National Energy Board approves the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion.

Western Canada Marine Response Corp. communications manager Michael Lowry told district council last week no bases will be established in Sooke.

New spill-response bases would be located at ports in Delta, Nanaimo, Sidney, Ucluelet and Beecher Bay, he said. The $100-million investment is being paid for by a fee charged by Trans Mountain to shippers.

Sooke was originally considered as a base, but the harbour is too shallow for the boats required. Sooke currently has a cache of oil-response equipment and that would be upgraded.

Under the federal Shipping Act, the Western Canada Marine Response Corp. has an 18- to 72-hour response time in local waters, depending on the size of the spill.

“We’re well below those [minimum] standards, but those are what Transport Canada expects,” Lowry said.

Kinder Morgan hopes to triple the bitumen-carrying capacity of its existing Trans Mountain line by laying almost 1,000 kilometres of new pipe between Edmonton and Burnaby. The expansion would increase the number of tankers on the South Coast.

Last fall Sooke voters passed a referendum in opposition to the expansion of oil traffic through coastal B.C. waters.

“[The people of Sooke] are very passionate about our coastline and our waters,” said acting mayor Kevin Pearson. “We can appreciate quicker response times, but there many issues underlying it.”

The National Energy Board is expected to make a decision on the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion in January.

 

 

Just Posted

Council re-tenders Murray Road staircase project

Project could be delayed months

Langford loses bid to host Amazon HQ2

Mayor hopes to attract more tech jobs to city

Whooping cough detected in Claremont student

15 Greater Victoria schools have been informed of a student with pertussis since September

Woodwynn Farms to be shut down and sold

The rehabilitation program at Woodwynn Farms is being shut down. According to… Continue reading

Victoria police warn against Canada Revenue scam as tax season nears

Fraudsters have elicited $25,000 in 2018 alone in telephone racket

WATCH: Giant waves smash Ucluelet’s Amphitrite Point

Folks made their way to Ucluelet’s Amphitrite Point Lighthouse on Thursday, Jan.… Continue reading

Opinion: Dare to be smarter

Just say no works for more than just substance abuse

‘Sing Me a Song’ about B.C. for a chance at $1,000 contest prize

Entries due by March 30 for lieutenant-governor’s British Columbia-themed competition

Facing reality of death, B.C. man learns real meaning of life

Even while preparing for the end, something inside Keven Drews won’t let him stop living

Former B.C. fire chief gets seven months for possession of child porn

The 63-year-old pleaded guilty during a brief hearing last year to one count

B.C. VIEWS: Public school ‘crisis’ doesn’t exist

More teachers pour in, union wants results suppressed

Late charge in Portland sees Victoria collect third straight WHL win

Matthew Phillips leads the way with three-point night in 4-2 win, Giants up next

UPDATE: Hold-and-secure lifted after Nanaimo RCMP locate student who threatened self-harm

Eight schools were under hold-and-secure orders after possible threat Thursday, Jan. 18

Suspected Toronto serial killer targeting gay community arrested

A 66-year-old man is charged with first-degree murder in disappearance of two Toronto men

Most Read