Colwood will keep vehicle access to Esquimalt Lagoon open to the public, following a month-long survey. (Black Press Media file photo)

Survey says: Keep Esquimalt Lagoon fully open to vehicle access

Residents want more washrooms, trails and seating

The results are in and the majority of survey respondents say they want Esquimalt Lagoon to remain open to vehicles.

In total, 61 per cent are in favour of keeping traffic flowing through Ocean Boulevard while 39 per cent want some form of closure, according to more than 3,800 submitted responses to a City of Colwood survey on the future of the popular destination. Notably, 22 per cent want a full closure, 10 per cent are in favour of a seasonal shutdown and seven per cent want the road closed only the weekends.

While most agree with keeping the road open to vehicles, 59 per cent of the Lagoon neighbourhood preferred some type of closure. These residents made up 11 per cent of the respondents.

READ MORE: Colwood to reopen vehicle access to Esquimalt Lagoon from Fort Rodd Hill

While 28 per cent of visitors who drop by the Lagoon come to sit and play on the beach, 25 per cent park to watch the ocean from their vehicles. According to the survey, 75 per cent of respondents want to see more improvements to the park. In fact, the top three requests are more washrooms, trails and seating.

Some residents pointed out their concerns that if Ocean Boulevard were to be closed, there would be more traffic on Sooke Road. Others offered ideas such as changing the route to one-way traffic only, adding counterflow lanes or frequently changing the times when the road would be closed.

According to the survey, only 14 per cent of respondents use the area to drive through while running their errands or during their commute, while 86 per cent said the Lagoon is their destination to enjoy the beach and its surroundings.

On Monday, June 22, council voted to keep a 400-metre section of Ocean Boulevard along the Lagoon closed until September as the City continues to explore its best options to improve the area.

Council hopes to speed up the creation of design concepts for waterfront public improvements for 2020 instead of 2021, with an existing budget of $100,000 to look into the proposal for an improved trail running from the bridge to Royal Bay Beach.

Editor’s note: An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated the reopening date for Ocean Boulevard. The roadway will be closed to traffic until September. We apologize for this error and any confusion it may have caused.

ALSO READ: Colwood welcomes food trucks at Esquimalt Lagoon for future summers


@iaaronguillen
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

aaron.guillen@goldstreamgazette.com

City of Colwood,esquimalt lagoon

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Metchosin to test tsunami notification on Thursday evening

Approximately 80 to 100 residents in tsunami-zone

Sooke Crisis Centre closes doors

Services previously offered to be dispersed throughout community support groups

New affordable homes on the way in Sooke

Eight new affordable rental homes to be built at Hope Centre

CRD explores option to use Oak Bay Lodge for people who are homeless

Motion asks staff to work with BC Housing, Island Health on possibilities

Sidney asking tourists to respect health guidelines

Messaging says Sidney is ‘excited to welcome smart, safe, and respectful visits’

VIDEO: Victoria’s Raging Grannies call for end to public funding of for-profit senior homes

Organizer says COVID-19 has made senior home issues more apparent

Campaign aims to raise $50K for young family of deceased Vancouver Island skydiver

James Smith, 34, died July 5 following incident in Nanoose Bay

Canadian policing organization calls for decriminalization of simple illicit drug possession

Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police want policing focus of opioid crisis to be replaced with a health one

Filing deadline in RCMP sexual-harassment class-action extended due to COVID-19

Plaintiffs now have until January 2021 to submit claims for up to $222,000

Jamie Bacon pleads guilty to charge in Surrey Six case

The plea brings an end to a complex legal case that has spanned more than a decade

Hefty undeclared driver charges piling up, ICBC warns customers

Average extra penalty $2,971 after an at-fault accident

Survey, hotline launched amid probe into racist blood-alcohol guessing game at B.C. hospital

Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond has been appointed to lead an investigation by Health Minister Adrian Dix

RCMP disarm man experiencing mental health crisis

The male pulled a knife on officers and then held it to his own throat expressing a desire to die

B.C. appeals judge’s decision to leave three clubhouses in Hells Angels hands

The province has filed two notices of appeal related to the B.C. Supreme Court decision

Most Read