Team effort locates missing man

Hiker gets disoriented and lost in the Sombrio Beach area

  • Jun. 4, 2015 6:00 a.m.

Juan de Fuca Search & Rescue

On June 2, 2015 at approximately 3:35 p.m., Sooke RCMP received a third hand report of a missing male near the Sombrio Beach area near Port Renfrew. The missing 58-year-old male was walking in the rural area with a friend. The friend could not continue due to medical issues and returned to their vehicle. The friend waited for approximately three hours before flagging down a passing vehicle and requesting assistance. The missing person was last heard from at approximately 11:45 a.m.. There was limited information due to the third hand report, however, based on the location, time of day, and initial reports of medical issues with the missing person, Sooke RCMP immediately requested the assistance of the Juan de Fuca Search and Rescue.

Sooke RCMP members, RCMP Police Dog Service, and Juan de Fuca Search and Rescue (GSAR) attended the area. The area where the 58-year-old missing was dangerous due to the extremely dense brush, large changes in elevations, heavy fog, moist conditions and limited communication. Marine Search and Rescue was requested and the RCM SAR vessel out of Sooke responded for the shore line search. RCMP air services were not utilized due to the weather conditions.

The extensive search over several kilometers resulted in finding the male around 11:04 p.m., when a SAR Team made verbal contact almost 12 hours since he was last seen. It took several more hours to retrieve the male from the area. The male was exhausted and hungry, but otherwise suffered only minor injuries. He reports getting disoriented in the heavy woods while trying to make it down to the shoreline.

Sooke RCMP would like to thank all those involved in the search and remind the public not to venture out in the rural areas without pre-planning and proper equipment. What appears to be a trail can quickly turn into heavy bush and persons can become disoriented very quickly in changing conditions. In this instance, the 58-year-old male returned safety in no small part for the efforts of the Juan de Fuca SAR volunteers.

Just Posted

Man who killed Langford teen attended her memorial service, demonstrates little remorse

Parole Board of Canada documents reveal factors in parole decision

UPDATED: Oak Bay father takes stand, denies killing young daughters

Andrew Berry has plead not guilty to the December 2017 deaths of his two daughters

Victoria contractors file civil claims for work on Sooke Tim Hortons, Petro Canada

Contractors file civil suits against Petromaxx, T’Sou-ke First Nation

Relative of man found dead in Saanich says he was missing for years

RCMP and a private detective had been searching for him since 2012

Saanich Police warn of counterfeit money being used

Several fake $100 bills have been reported in Greater Victoria

VIDEO: Title of 25th Bond movie is ‘No Time to Die’

The film is set to be released in April 2020

Sooke’s Old-Fashioned Country Picnic set for Saturday

The free event combines music, kids activities, food and fun

New study suggests autism overdiagnosed: Canadian expert

Laurent Mottron: ‘Autistic people we test now are less and less different than typical people’

Trans Mountain gives contractors 30 days to get workers, supplies ready for pipeline

Crown corporation believes the expansion project could be in service by mid-2022

Rosemount cooked diced chicken linked to listeria case in B.C.

The symptoms of listeria include vomiting, nausea, fever, muscle aches

B.C. seniors allowed more choice to stay in assisted living

Province doesn’t need to wait for a complaint to investigate care, Adrian Dix says

Retired B.C. fisherman wins record $60M Lotto Max jackpot

Joseph Katalinic won the biggest Lotto Max prize ever awarded

Island manslaughter suspect found not guilty in Supreme Court

Court accepts accused’s argument of self-defence for 2017 incident in Courtenay

Most Read