This is advance notice about the annual Subaru Sooke Triathlon which will take place in Otter Point, Shirley, Jordan River and Sooke on Sunday, Aug. 12.
Last year the course was changed to extend the bicycle race past Jordan River.
This necessitated the closure of Highway 14 between Gordon’s Beach and a point approximately 15 kilometres west of Jordan River resulting in considerable inconvenience for local businesses, campers, residents and others. Changes have been made to the timing of the highway closure for the 2012 event which will hopefully minimize delays.
Here is most information supplied to the OPSRRA newsletter by the race organizers.
Dear Resident or Stakeholder:
This is an additional reminder that there will be a road closure on Aug. 12 that could affect your residents or guests.
The roads are closed in order to accommodate the safety of the participants in the Subaru Sooke International Triathlon and filming of the event for a television production that will air nationally on TSN.
We are asking for your co-operation with planning your travel that day and informing your guests to plan and abide by the road closures listed below.
Despite the closures, we have been working with CRD Regional Director Mike Hicks to find some periods of time during the closures where some travel will be allowed. We are also working to see if we can reduce the time of the closure on the eastbound lane from 12 p.m. to 11:30 a.m. (keep in mind the westbound lane is fully open at 10:30 a.m.). We will be back to you shortly with these plans.
Please be informed that there could be long delays with cyclists and film crews on the roads. There may be places along the route where traffic is stopped or delayed for long periods of time so please try to avoid travel in these periods and ask your guests to give themselves extra time to travel.
We appreciated your patience, cooperation and support. We know that this can be inconvenience to you.
The 60-minute national television program will be seen by millions and will be focused on the beauty of the area and activities available.
It should provide a very large benefit to the tourism industry in the area for years to come. Many local residents are also taking part and we know they appreciate your support as well.
The following road closures will take place on Aug. 12.
1. Otter Point Road from Grant Road to Rhodonite Drive: 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
2. Otter Point Road (westbound lane) from Young Lake Road to West Coast
Road (westerly intersection) + Young Lake Road: 7 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. * Local residents use Kemp Lake Road for access.
3. West Coast Road (westbound lane) from Otter Point Road (westerly intersection) to approximately 15 km west of Jordan River: 7 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
4. West Coast Road (eastbound lane) from approximately 15 km west of Jordan River to Otter Point Road (westerly intersection): 7 a.m. – 12 p.m.
5. Otter Point Road (eastbound lane) from West Coast Road (westerly intersection) to Rhodonite Drive: 7 a.m. to 12 p.m. * Local residents use Kemp Lake Road for access
· All side streets within the closure areas will be closed. Expect delays and plan ahead.
· Please obey all signage and follow directions from traffic control personnel.
· Provisions have been made for access of all emergency vehicles.
For the very latest please see www.triseries.ca
For further information about the closure, contact the race office at 250-220-2259
Or by e‐mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Courtesy OPSRRA newsletter