Sooke has a hero in its midst.
Six-year-old Gavin Lerik was recognized for his heroic actions Monday at the District of Sooke council meeting by Mayor Maja Tait and Fire Chief Steven Sorenson for the quick action that may have saved his family’s lives.
Gavin was awarded the district’s Little Hero award.
“He was sneaking out to watch cartoons when he spotted the fire,” said Sorenson.
In the early morning hours of July 2, Sooke Fire Rescue responded to a call of a dryer fire in the family home.
Upon arrival, fire personnel learned that young Gavin had been the one who observed the fire in his family’s laundry room and alerted his parents, banging on their bedroom door until they awoke.
Because of Gavin’s awareness and bravery, his father was able to quickly extinguish the fire with a fire hose.
Damage to the home was contained to the laundry room.