I would like to present to the citizens of Sooke with yet another vision before the upcoming elections that requires the participation of everyone — all visionaries, that means you.
In an attempt to move forward into realizing the true potential of our citizens and our community, will you join with me in a non-biased discussion concerning what kind of council we wish to have in the next few years?
I am certain that we all want to live in harmony with each other and be able to adapt positively to whatever future changes might happen.
So, let us seriously ask the questions that need to be asked so that we might eliminate the unnecessary drama and political conflicts that often prevail at election time.
What type of people does Sooke need on council? What kind of expertise do we need? How experienced will our facilitators need to be? Will they have our trust? Will they have vision?
Let’s have an honest discussion about who would be right for the job and why that couldn’t be you?
Here lies a list of qualifiers I feel we need. This is my list, what’s yours?
1. Someone who understands group process and has facilitation skills.
2. Someone knowledgeable in health and social issues.
3. Someone who understands building aesthetics and the environment.
4. Someone who has a broad knowledge of our community and government policy.
5. Someone who can advocate for the local arts and businesses and who has financial and economical long term planning skills.
6. Someone with listening, speaking skills and negotiating experience working on boards, who can put aside their personal agendas for the betterment of the community.
I am sure this paper would be more than happy to publish as many possibilities as they could. Let’s help each other decide who would be best.