asons, the Northern Gateway Pipeline is a no-brainer for protection of the shareholders, the insurance companies, the taxpayers and the environment. It would also be a no-brainer that the company building the pipeline is a bit of upgrading, so my letter to Enbridge would be:
Could you please institute the following items:
1. All pipe, crossing waterways and sensitive area be “doubled-hulled.”
2. An innovative design be established to produce demonstrably an earthquake-proof system.
3. That automatic shutoff occur during any seismic event.
4. Doubling of the required number if sensors along the line.
5. A progressive maintenance regime be incorporated that, if there is a suspected crack, the default us to treat it as a “confined” crack, and the pipe be repaired and reinforced at that site.
6. That “you” Enbridge; partner “your” proposed pipeline with some world class company that has a appropriate track record and the required expertise.
How Enbridge ever got an insurance company to pay out on a 2010 spill claim for $750 million in Michigan, that was caused by incompetence and negligence on Enbridge’s part, can only be explained if Enbridge was the owner of the insurance company.
It is better toapproach a problem by identifying real concerns and to apply well-reasoned argument and fixes. Just have a reaction as though it were an allergen is immature, unproductive and ultimately invalid.