2014 Small Business Profile Now Online
According to the 2014 Small Business Profile, B.C. has the most small businesses per capita in Canada, at 83.4 per 1,000 people.
The Small Business Profile is a statistical report highlighting the major role that small business plays in B.C.
Here are some of the highlights from the 2014 profile:
• Small businesses employed more than 1,032,900 million people in the province in 2013.
• Small business provides about 55 per cent of all private-sector jobs in B.C., the second-highest rate in Canada.
• Small businesses account for 85 per cent of all exporters in B.C.
• B.C. small businesses shipped approximately $14.4 billion worth of merchandise to international destinations in 2012, which accounts for almost half of all the goods exported from the province.
• About 382,200 small businesses were operating in the province in 2013, 81 per cent of which had fewer than five employees.