Edward Milne Community School students and staff were evacuated early Thursday morning after a smell of burning rubber was noticed throughout the school.
EMCS principal Patrick Swinburnson evacuated the school and called Sooke Fire around 8:30 a.m., with fire crews responding from Sooke, Metchosin and Otter Point.
According to Sooke Fire chief Steve Sorensen, a small fire may have started in one of the school's mechanical rooms, though an investigation is ongoing as to what exactly went wrong and where, as the ventilation system spread any smoke throughout the entire building.
"It could have been something as simple as a fanbelt, something getting stuck, but we found no fire situation," Sorensen said, adding that fire crews will check the any affected classroom for air quality, make sure it's safe for students to return.
No injuries were reported, and classes are expected to resume.