The Latoria Creek Park stairs will cost an estimated $325,000 to replace when engineering design, materials and construction are factored in. (Photo courtesy of City of Colwood)

Colwood says $325k price tag for stairs covers more than just building costs

Price estimate encompasses design, materials and construction

The $325,000 price tag for new stairs at Latoria Creek Park encompasses more than just the cost of building the stairs, according to the City of Colwood.

Last week, some readers expressed through Facebook comments that the cost of the stairs is “obscene.”

But on Friday, the City put out a news release stating that the estimated $325,000 cost covers detailed engineering design, materials and construction.

The amount is one of three estimates used in a Canada Infrastructure grant application that the city applied for to help pay for the cost of replacing the stairs.

READ MORE: Colwood applies for $325k to replace stairs in Latoria Creek Park

“This amount is the highest of the three estimates, and comes with the longest life span, lowest maintenance cost, and lowest overall cost for the City and taxpayers over time,” the release said.

There are a total of four steep staircases in Latoria Creek Park, each with up to 112 steps. The work to replace them would be done over three years.

The first set of stairs is almost one kilometre along a forest trail with the creek below on one side and steep, rocky slopes on the other.

The City said the location of the stairs presents challenges when it comes to replacement because materials cannot be trucked or craned in since the stairs are deep in the park.

“They would need to be fabricated off site and transported in sections,” the release said.

READ MORE: Readers fin $325,000 price tag for Colwood stairs to be “obscene”

Proposed materials for the stairs would be an aluminum structure with wood components to fit the natural forest setting.

The steps are in need of replacing after a 2018 inspection revealed that several steps were rotting and unsafe. Temporary repairs were done but according to an assessment that was done at the time, replacement is still necessary to ensure the stairs continue to be safe and usable over the long-term.

The City received 200 signatures in support of applying for the federal grant which will cover 73 per cent of the replacement cost. The remaining 27 per cent — or $87,000 — would be covered by the City. There would be zero tax increase to Colwood residents for this work.

shalu.mehta@goldstreamgazette.com


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Federal government actions hurt Sooke hatchery fundraising efforts

Funding denial comes on the heels of fishing closures

Stop work order at Sooke salmon hatchery devastates volunteers

CRD steps in as some volunteers give up their efforts

Oak Bay researcher’s Canadian English dictionary goes to print

How an unknown American hobbyist sparked a Canadian dictionary

Jesse Roper learns to create fire in the wild, in Sacred Knowledge web series

Ragnarock Studios production shares primitive skills with Islanders

Island athlete goes from hoop dreams to icy track

Cyrus Gray hopes to punch his ticket to Olympics in bobsleigh

Police release photos of suspect in daytime sex assault at Vancouver woman’s home

A young woman, in hers 20s, was followed home by the man, before he violently attacked her inside

Raptors beat Bucks 100-94 to advance to franchise’s first-ever NBA Finals

Leonard has 27 points, 17 boards to lead Toronto past Milwaukee

Third person charged in death of B.C. teen Bhavkiran Dhesi

Inderdeep Kaur Deo facing charge of accessory after the fact to murder

SOOKE HISTORY: Pemberton Pool namesake remains a mystery

Historian believes it was possibly named after surveyor Joseph Despard Pemberton

Kamloops girl, 9, recovering from carbon monoxide poisoning now out of ICU

Her mother who was sleeping in the same tent with her did not survive

‘I think he’s still alive’: B.C. mom pleads for help finding son last seen a month ago

Family offering $5,000 reward for information leading to the safe return of Tim Delahaye

New poll suggests one-third don’t want politicians to wear religious symbols

Local politicians shouldn’t be allowed to wear hijabs, crucifixes or turbans on the job, survey suggests

Raptors fans far from home adjust plans to watch pivotal playoff game

Raptors currently lead the playoff series 3-2, and a win Saturday would vault them into NBA finals

PHOTOS: First responders in Fernie rescue baby owl who fell from nest

The baby owl’s inability to fly back to its nest prompted a rescue by first responders

Most Read