Crews are cleaning up after a gas leak behind a building in the 3400-block of Douglas Street.
While McLaren Lighting and surrounding businesses were evacuated around noon Wednesday, the nearby highway and Galloping Goose Trail remained in use. A natural gas company was on the scene to repair the odorous leak alongside emergency response as of noon. Staff and shoppers were permitted to return inside at around 1 p.m. once it was deemed safe to do so.
Witnesses said an excavator operator hit a two-inch gas line adjacent to a wooden sewage pipe that was in the process of being replaced, causing the leak.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.