Sooke RCMP and West Shore RCMP are actively investigating a series of fraudulentpurchases, using fake $50 Canadian bills reported between March 1 and March 3, 2015 in Langford and Sooke, B.C.
In those four occurrences, the same fake $50 bill with the same serial number (AHT9461314) was passed.
"The seized counterfeit bill in Sooke appears to have the transparent holograph window from an actual $5 bill, carefully cut out and taped on to the counterfeit 50 dollar bill portion." said S/Sgt. Jeff McArthur of Sooke Detachment.
- The first incident occurred at Fairway Market in Langford (March 1)
- The second incident occurred at Wendy’s restaurant (March 1)
- The second incident occurred at Western Foods in Langford (March 3)
- The third incident occurred at Costco in Langford (March 3)
- The fourth incident occurred at Western Foods in Sooke (March 3)
West Shore RCMP Financial Crime investigator is also assisting with the investigation. Investigators are examining video surveillance from the different establishment in hope to identify any suspects.
“West Shore RCMP are asking the public’s assistance with this investigation,” said Cst. Alex Berube, spokesperson of the West Shore RCMP Detachment, “We believe there is a strong possibility that other businesses were affected by these counterfeit bills and encourage them to come forward and report it to their local police agency.”
If anyone has information on this crime please contact our office at 250-474-2264 or CRIMESTOPPERS at 1-800-222-TIPS.”