Proponents of Victoria’s horse carriage industry are planning a rally outside city hall Thursday night in response to Coun. Ben Isitt’s motion to ban the industry by 2023. (Facebook/Tally-Ho Carriage tours)

Horse carriage supporters to rally outside city hall

Owner of carriage company plans rally in response to Coun. Ben Isitt’s motion

The owner of a Victoria horse-carriage company is planning a rally outside city hall Thursday night in response to a Coun. Ben Isitt’s motion to ban the carriages by 2023.

Donna Friedlander, owner of Tally-Ho Carriage Tours, posted online asking residents to take action by writing letters to council, speaking at the meeting and gathering outside city hall with something to identify themselves as a supporter of the industry – such as a “homemade sign or stuffed horse.”

“Let’s make sure council members see the support before they start work that night…” said Friedlander.

She mentions that Victoria’s four-year strategic plan didn’t include any actions on horse-drawn carriages and that Coun. Ben Isitt is “pushing his personal animal rights ideologies onto the general public” and “onto the backs of two legal, ethical businesses employing over 70 staff and 55 draft horses.”

READ ALSO: Victoria city councillor proposes to phase out horse-drawn carriages

READ ALSO: Time to shut down Montreal’s horse-drawn carriage industry: mayor

A petition to protect the industry, started by the Victoria Horse Protection Alliance in 2016, has seen a boost in numbers since the motion was put forward, and has garnered nearly 6,500 signatures – at least 3,000 of which came in since May 15.

Isitt’s motion follows years of contention around the industry, which sees large draft horses pulling carriages around the city – typically occupied with tourists.

A viral video from 2018 showed working horses struggling to get up after falling, after which the BC SPCA took a stance – asking the city for further policy development and to limit horse carriage routes.

Isitt reinvigorated the controversy with his motion earlier this month, in which he said the horse carriage industry is “ill suited to a 21st century city where we’re only seeing more and more traffic and congestion.”

On Thursday evening, council will further discuss the implications of phasing out the horse-drawn carriage industry and hear from a number of concerned residents. City of Victoria staff have been asked to report back to council on the work required to phase out the carriages at the next quarterly meeting Sept. 7.

READ ALSO: Horses from Victoria Carriage Tours involved in second incident in three months READ ALSO: Thousands sign petitions following proposal to phase out horse-drawn carriages in Victoria



nina.grossman@blackpress.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

VicPD investigates stabbing near Selkirk Montessori school

Victim in potentially life-threatening condition

Federal candidates react to Trudeau blackface controversy

‘It does look like a foolish mistake,’ says Green candidate David Merner

Realtor pitches Langford’s third retail cannabis store

Local business owner Ron Cheeke prepares to open Honeycomb Cannabis

Cougar sighting reported near two Sooke schools

Sighting near Ecole Poirier Elementary and Journey Middle School

VIDEO: Trudeau asks Canada to look to current, not past, actions on race

Liberal leader says he never spoke about the racist photo because he was embarrassed

Legislature gifts, clothing, travel need better control, B.C. auditor says

Audit follows suspensions of managers by Speaker Darryl Plecas

‘Really disturbing:’ Trudeau’s racist photos worry B.C. First Nation chief

Wet’suwet’en Chief concerned the photos will sow fear in Indigenous communities

‘Unacceptable’: What politicians have to say about Trudeau in blackface

Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi: ‘When I saw that picture last night, certainly it was a sucker-punch’

Island contestant competes on Great Canadian Baking Show

Andrea Nauta auditioned for the show before but was lucky second time around

VIDEO: B.C. man accused of assaulting sex worker loses temper in interrogation

Defence lawyer says statements made by accused Curtis Sagmoen should be deemed inadmissible

LETTER: It’s an accident waiting to happen

I am very happy Tim Hortons restaurant is now in Sooke, but… Continue reading

Teens charged in stabbing death of B.C. man in strip mall parking lot

Two youths, aged 15 and 16, charged in Aug. 16 killing of South Surrey’s Paul Prestbakmo

Photos surface of Conservative candidate at B.C. event with people in blackface

The controversial “Black Peter” character has been a feature at Sinterklaas celebrations

Most Read