A man pauses to look at photographs of some of the people who died in the downing of Ukrainian Airlines Flight 752 in Iran, during a vigil for the victims of the flight at the Har El synagogue in West Vancouver on January 19, 2020. The federal government says Iran’s foreign minister has committed to sending the flight recorders from the civilian airliner it shot down in January to be analyzed in France without delay. The commitment by Iranian Foreign Affairs Mohammad Javad Zarif reportedly came during a conversation with Canadian counterpart Francois-Philippe Champagne earlier today. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

A man pauses to look at photographs of some of the people who died in the downing of Ukrainian Airlines Flight 752 in Iran, during a vigil for the victims of the flight at the Har El synagogue in West Vancouver on January 19, 2020. The federal government says Iran’s foreign minister has committed to sending the flight recorders from the civilian airliner it shot down in January to be analyzed in France without delay. The commitment by Iranian Foreign Affairs Mohammad Javad Zarif reportedly came during a conversation with Canadian counterpart Francois-Philippe Champagne earlier today. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

Iran commits to handing over PS752 black boxes, start compensation talks: Ottawa

There were 176 people killed — including 55 Canadian citizens and 30 permanent residents

Iran has promised to hand over the flight recorders from the civilian airliner it shot down in January “without further delay” and begin compensation talks with the families of those killed in the incident, the federal government said Monday.

Iranian Foreign Affairs Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif made the promise during a telephone call with Canadian counterpart Francois-Philippe Champagne, according to a summary of the conversation provided by Global Affairs Canada.

The readout said Champagne underscored the need for a transparent investigation of the downing of Ukraine International Airlines Flight PS752.

There were 176 people killed — including 55 Canadian citizens and 30 permanent residents — when the Iranian military shot down the plane shortly after takeoff from Tehran on Jan. 8.

“Minister Zarif committed to Iran sending the flight recorders to France for analysis without further delay,” reads the summary. “Iran will detail its progress on this issue at the International Civil Aviation Organization this week.

“He also agreed to enter into negotiations for reparations, and to provide an update to Canada and the other grieving nations at the next meeting of the International Co-ordination and Response Group.”

Iran has been repeatedly accused of refusing to co-operate with efforts to investigate the circumstances surrounding the crash and hold those responsible to account, including by initially refusing to hand over the plane’s black boxes.

The Islamic Republic’s representative to the Montreal-based ICAO promised in March that the flight recorders would be handed over to Ukraine within two weeks, but the country missed that deadline. Iran later blamed the COVID-19 pandemic for not delivering on that promise.

Iran’s representative, Farhad Parvaresh, then told The Canadian Press earlier this month that Iran would bypass Ukraine and send the flight recorders directly to France as soon as all the parties that want to be there when they are downloaded can travel.

Several victims’ families put pressure on the federal government last week as they launched the Association of Families of Flight PS752 Victims, saying they wanted to know what Ottawa was doing to pressure Iran to co-operate with investigators.

They said they planned to question Champagne during an upcoming meeting about the government’s plan to hold Iran to account and called for the International Court of Justice to step in if Iran does not send the flight data recorders to France.

Iran initially denied responsibility before admitting its role in the aircraft’s destruction.

Lee Berthiaume, The Canadian Press

Flight 752 crash in Iran

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Tiny packets of carrots ready to be distributed in Victoria. (Submitted/Victoria Seed Share)
Free Victoria seed sharing collective bags work experience funding

Fully volunteer run Victoria Seed Share will get a boost from provincial grant

Saanich Fire Department on the scene after a car crashed into the Walmart in Uptown. (Photo courtesy Dan Wood)
PHOTOS: Saanich firefighters free trapped workers at Uptown Walmart

Incident reported as explosion after driver rammed through wall

Beach fires are not permitted in Saanich but portable, gas-powered fire pits are welcome everywhere – including at municipal parks and beaches. (Pixabay)
Beach fires not cool in Saanich but gas-powered fire pits permitted

Respect others, bylaws while still enjoying an outdoor fire, firefighter says

B.C. Health Minister Adrian Dix and Premier John Horgan describe vaccine rollout at the legislature, March 29, 2021. (B.C. government)
1,262 more COVID-19 infections in B.C. Friday, 9,574 active cases

Province’s mass vaccination reaches one million people

Nanaimo RCMP are asking for the public’s help in identifying the man suspected of being involved in a stabbing. (Photo submitted)
Nanaimo RCMP trying to identify stabbing suspect who wielded rusty knife

Stabbing followed argument between two men at Port Place Shopping Centre April 1

The inside of the Campbell River Community Centre gymnasium has been marked off in order to facilitate the public flowing through the clinic as they receive their COVID-19 vaccination. Photo by Alistair Taylor – Campbell river Mirror
Leftover vaccines go into arms, not down the drain: Island Health

Immunization plan comes with built-in options for any unused vaccines at the end of the day

A man wears a face mask past the emergency department of the Vancouver General Hospital. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward)
Calls for stricter action in B.C. as COVID-19 variants projected to climb

Jens von Bergmann says the province has taken a ‘wait and see’ approach when early action is needed

Vancouver’s park board general manager issued a new order Friday restricting tents and other temporary structures from being set up in Strathcona Park after April 30, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
Vancouver park board issues order to restrict tents in Strathcona Park

The order issued Friday restricted tents and other temporary structures from being set up after April 30

Vancouver Canucks general manager Jim Benning says the players who’ve tested positive for COVID-19 are recovering and the team still intends to play a 56-game season. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
Canucks players ‘mostly on the other side’ of COVID outbreak: general manager

The athletes have had a “whole range” of COVID-19 symptoms, said team physician Dr. Jim Bovard, but no one has needed to be hospitalized

Police are investigating after a man was shot Thursday, April 8 while sitting in a car in Vancouver. (Black Press files)
Man shot in Vancouver while sitting in a parked car: police

The victim is currently in critical condition. Police say no arrests have been made.

Teachers from SD42 and other districts in the Lower Mainland flocked to Surrey on Tuesday in the hopes of getting a COVID-19 vaccine. (Sheelagh Brothers/Twitter)
Don’t line up for vaccines unless asked to come, Dr. Bonnie Henry warns

Social media post shows teachers lining up outside of Surrey clinic for leftover doses

Vernon North Okanagan RCMP is seeking public tips regarding a break-in that left multiple people injured in Vernon Saturday, March 6, 2021. (Phil McLachlan - Capital News)
Cariboo teacher charged in child exploitation case

Charge laid against teacher at Peter Skene Ogden

Most Read