Langford fire investigator Lance Caven works at the scene of the fire at Savory elementary last September. Two teens accused of setting the fire have pleaded not guilty.

Langford teens plead not guilty to Savory school arson

A Langford teenager accused of arson will plead not guilty to setting the fire at Savory elementary last September.

A Langford teenager accused of arson will plead not guilty to setting a fire at Savory elementary last September.

Robert Jones, the lawyer for the youth, who was 16 at the time of the fire, said his client is pleading not guilty to setting the fire that destroyed the administration wing of Savory on Sept. 11, 2011.

The fire caused about $50,000 worth of damage to the 46-year-old school and 155 students were bused to different schools for three weeks during extensive cleanup and repair.

Jones said he will concede the fire was deliberately set, which will allow the Crown to avoid calling fire and forensic expert witnesses, so shortening the trial.

“We’re prepared to admit the fire was not an accident, that it was deliberate,” Jones said. “But I’m not admitting my client is responsible for setting the fire.”

Jones said it appears the fire started in or close to a room that had an exterior window broken. He said the Crown’s theory is something incendiary was thrown through the window.

Jones wouldn’t say if his client was at or near the school at the time of the early morning fire. The youth will formally enter his plea on Feb. 22 at Western Communities Courthouse.

His co-accused Jordan Deluca, who was 19 at the time of the fire, has a trial date scheduled for Jan. 7, 2013 at Western Communities Courthouse. The teens’ trials will be separate due to one accused being a minor and the other an adult.

Deluca’s lawyer Paul Pearson confirmed his client has pleaded not guilty, but declined to comment on Deluca’s defence strategy.

editor@goldstreamgazette.com

 

 

Just Posted

Port Renfrew man charged with animal cruelty

Hot coffee poured on dog’s face, say police

Sooke cougar sighting unconfirmed

Boy had a close encounter with the big cat

Central Saanich makes moves to alieviate business transit concerns

Councillor calls for enhanced service and long-term transit passes

Saanich sponsors Jeux de la Francophonie giving $50,000 for the French-language Games

Couns. Susan Brice and Nathalie Chambers opposed funding, citing substantive and procedural concerns

VIDEO: B.C. MLA Michelle Stilwell takes first steps in nearly 30 years

‘It actually felt like walking. It’s been 27 years… but it felt realistic to me’

Report of dead body in B.C. park actually headless sex doll

This discovery, made at Manning Park on July 10, led police to uncovering two other sex mannequins

Grand Forks fire chief found to have bullied, harassed volunteer firefighter: report

WorkSafeBC, third-party human resources investigation looking into allegations complete

Taekwondo instructor, 21, identified as B.C. bat rabies victim

Nick Major, 21, an instructor at Cascadia Martial Arts in Parksville

15-year-old with imitation gun caused ‘dynamic’ scene at Nanaimo mall

No one was harmed in Monday’s incident, say Nanaimo RCMP

B.C. on right road with tougher ride-hailing driver rules, says expert

The provincial government is holding firm that ride-hailing drivers have a Class 4 licence

RCMP investigating alleged ‘sexual misconduct’ by cyclist on BCIT campus

BCIT said they were reviewing video evidence of the incident

New home cost dips in B.C.’s large urban centres

Victoria, Kelowna, Vancouver prices decline from last year

Graphic suicide scene edited out of ‘13 Reasons Why’ finale

Suicide prevention groups support the decision

Most Read