Traffic improvements such as the McKenzie Interchange at the Trans Canada Highway are part of an ongoing plan for regional transportation upgrades to minimize traffic congestion. (Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure)

McKenzie interchange project sees delays

Weather delays, plan modifications cause extended timeline

Construction of the McKenzie interchange will continue into 2020, well past its original target date of fall 2018.

The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure announced that due to unforeseen circumstances, the project will need more time to complete.

“During construction this past winter, crews encountered significant weather events on the South Island, including heavy snowfall,” the ministry said in a release. “Recently, the ministry also discovered highly variable rock while digging under the existing intersection. As a result of the discovery, modifications were made to the overall design of the interchange’s new centre pier.”

ALSO READ: McKenzie Interchange pump failure sends contaminated water into Colquitz River

Construction schedules have also been adjusted to lessen traffic and noise.

So far, the second and final construction contract for the project is 50 per cent complete. Currently, workers are focusing on building the overpass over the Trans-Canada Highway. The ministry estimates that upon completion, this project could save commuters travelling between the West Shore and downtown communities approximately 20 minutes.

ALSO READ: McKenzie interchange construction delayed into summer 2019

By this winter, the traffic lights on Highway 1 should be removed, and the entire project including the loop ramp, landscaping and transit facilities is expected to be completed by the summer of 2020.

The $85 million project has already been delayed In 2017, the ministry announced a new expected completion date of summer 2019, delayed from an initial fall 2018 target date, citing similar weather problems which delayed the settling of fill material such as rock, dirt and gravel.

nicole.crescenzi@vicnews.com


Send a Tweet: @NicoleCrescenzi

Like us on Facebook  

Just Posted

Victoria police seek help finding ‘high risk’ missing womanwoman

Brown, 30, is described as an Indigenous woman standing five feet, six inches tall, weighing 170 pounds

Man who killed Langford teen attended her memorial service, demonstrates little remorse

Parole Board of Canada documents reveal factors in parole decision

Victoria contractors file civil claims for work on Sooke Tim Hortons, Petro Canada

Contractors file civil suits against Petromaxx, T’Sou-ke First Nation

Victoria Shamrocks seize series lead in dramatic fashion

Senior lacrosse returns to The Q Centre Sunday at 6 p.m.

Oak Bay father charged with double murder takes the stand

Andrew Berry pleaded not guilty to the December 2017 deaths of his two daughters

VIDEO: Title of 25th Bond movie is ‘No Time to Die’

The film is set to be released in April 2020

Sooke’s Old-Fashioned Country Picnic set for Saturday

The free event combines music, kids activities, food and fun

Rosemount cooked diced chicken linked to listeria cases in B.C.

The symptoms of listeria include vomiting, nausea, fever, muscle aches

B.C. seniors allowed more choice to stay in assisted living

Province doesn’t need to wait for a complaint to investigate care, Adrian Dix says

Liberals block hearings into scathing ethics report on SNC-Lavalin affair

Dion concluded in his report last week that Trudeau broke the Conflict of Interest Act

Retired Richmond fisherman wins record-breaking $60M Lotto Max jackpot

Joseph Katalinic won the biggest Lotto Max prize ever awarded

Island manslaughter suspect found not guilty in Supreme Court

Court accepts accused’s argument of self-defence for 2017 incident in Courtenay

‘Unsubstantiated’ bomb threat against CP Rail in Revelstoke

On Aug. 18, a bomb threat was made against CP Rail in Revelstoke

Most Read