Sam and Finn Parker each received a Citizen’s Meritorious Award from the Victoria Fire Department for making sure everyone got out when their house caught fire in March. From left: Acting Mayor Marianne Alto, Finn Parker, Jess Edison, Sam Parker, Jasper Parker, Victoria Fire Chief Paul Bruce, and Jacquie Edison. Nicole Crescenzi/VICTORIA NEWS

Teen Victoria brothers receive award for saving family from house fire

Sam and Finn Parker kept cool when their home started to burn and got three people out

Two Victoria teenagers kept their cool when their home caught fire in March.

The 100-year old McClure Street house caught fire and became entirely engulfed in flames within 10 minutes. But, Sam and Finn Parker saw the flames and were able to get their three-year-old brother Jasper, their grandmother and their downstairs tenant out and unharmed.

Friday morning the duo were awarded with the Victoria Fire Department’s Citizens Meritorious Award for what they did.

“The performance that these guys demonstrated on that day … in my opinion it was very courageous,” said Victoria Fire Chief Bruce Paul. “By definition, courage doesn’t mean the absence of fear, it’s the act of managing your fears, keeping everything in a proper perspective and doing what you know to be best, and keeping that all in a sensible order in a chaotic situation. It’s very impressive for a couple young guys.”

The fire happened March 19 when both teens were at home with their brother and grandmother.

Sam Parker, 16, had quickly gone upstairs to change, and when he came downstairs he found Jasper sitting next to flames.

“The weird thing was, you couldn’t hear anything. No glass breaking, nothing, but I came downstairs and I saw big glass on the floor, the curtains were on fire in the living room,” Sam said.”So I grabbed Jasper and brought him back to the back yard, and I went back to the living room, grabbed the fire extinguisher and I yelled ‘fire!’”

READ: Large fire destroys home on McClure Street in Victoria

That’s when Finn, 13, realized something was wrong.

“I came downstairs and saw it, then I thought I have to get out,” he said. “I went downstairs to where the tenants are and knocked very, very loudly, and then I got Thomas, one of our tenants out.”

Sam and Finn Parker each received a Citizen’s Meritorious Award from the Victoria Fire Department for making sure everyone got out when their house caught fire in March. Nicole Crescenzi/VICTORIA NEWS

The boys continued to try to extinguish the fire, but the fire spread too fast in the character home. They made sure everyone, including their grandmother, was out then rushed outside to wait for the fire department.

Their home was destroyed, leaving no personal belongings for either boy, except Finn’s bicycle which had been parked outside. “But, that got stolen a couple weeks after the fire happened, which wasn’t great. It was really nice and the only thing that survived,” he said.

RELATED: McClure house fire saw Victoria firefighters use drone for first time in live situation

The boys’ parents were horrified when they got home, but that terror soon turned to relief.

“As a dad I’m very very proud of how my boys handled the situation, everyone got out safe and sound,” said their father, Mike McComb, adding that the whole experience has been bittersweet. “It’s hard to be happy and sad at the same time, but today’s a proud day, it’s all about the boys.”

When asked what it felt like to get the award, the brothers had distinctly different reactions.

“I feel really happy about it, I feel a little nervous, too,” said Sam. “It just feels really good to be honoured like this.”

Finn was more matter-of-fact about it.

“I feel like it’s something anyone would have done in the same situation,” he said. “Being awarded seems odd to me; it seems natural to help when there’s a crisis at the time.”

nicole.crescenzi@vicnews.com

Victoria Fire Department

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

 

Sam and Finn Parker’s brother Jasper, three, got out safely from their burning house because his brothers’ quick thinking. Nicole Crescenzi/ VICTORIA NEWS

Just Posted

Sooke Country Market returns for 25th year

In person market to only feature farmers, opens June 6

Man who bound, murdered Langford teen still a risk to public: parole board

Kimberly Proctor’s killer is still ‘mismanaging emotions,’ has had ‘temper tantrums’

North Saanich artist brightens pandemic with whimsical signs

Artist Anna Trelford decorates her fence with signs that riff on COVID-19 pandemic

Sooke to allow restaurant patios on streets and in parking lots

The virus has had major impact on local businesses, says Sooke mayor

Traffic redirected after crash on McKenzie Avenue

Saanich Police responded to Thursday evening collision

Mission prison COVID-19 outbreak ends, 9 new cases in B.C.

New positive test at Port Coquitlam care home

Facing changes together: Your community, your journalists

The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the world in ways that would have… Continue reading

VIDEO: Humpback whales put on quite a show

The ‘playful’ pod lingered by a Campbell River tour operator’s boat for quite some time

Getting hitched at historic B.C. gold rush town still on table during COVID-19 pandemic

Micro-weddings, online visits, offered at Barkerville Historic Town and Park

Stolen gargoyle returns to its perch on central Vancouver Island yard

Petey, a concrete gargoyle statue, was returned by Nanaimo RCMP after being found by city crew

Revelstoke woman finds welcoming letter on her Alberta-registered truck

There have been multiple reports online of vandalism to vehicles with Alberta licence plates

Spirit bear possibly spotted in West Kootenay

A local resident spotted the white-coloured bear while on an evening trail run near Castlegar on May 27

B.C. businesses ‘can’t shoulder burden’ of COVID-19 sick pay

Trudeau’s plan should be tied to federal emergency aid

B.C. teacher reprimanded for sharing homophobic and sexist memes, making racist comments

Klaus Hardy Breslauer was accused of making a laundry list of concerning decisions as a science teacher

Most Read