Island Health has issued a statement advising residents to exercise extra caution when walking this week.
They’ve provided a list of tips to avoid falling:
• Wear proper fitting, supportive footwear appropriate for the weather
• Keep your centre of gravity over your feet and hands out of your pockets to maintain balance
• Walk slowly, penguin-walk and pay attention to where you are going
• Use handrails when available, especially on steps
• Avoid stepping on ice or snow if possible – or, if you must walk where it’s crunchy if you can
• Use a backpack instead of carrying a purse – this will improve your balance
• Use walking aids (walkers or canes) as ordered for you by a health professional
• Sprinkle sand or salt around your home and on sidewalks to improve traction
Island Health warns senior citizens are at particularly high risk of slips and falls as the snow shifts to ice.