Wildfire evacuees told to double-check evacuation orders before driving home

RCMP say several people have been turned away because orders were not yet lifted for their areas

Provincial officials are warning those affected by wildfires to double-check that evacuation orders have indeed been lifted for their homes before returning, after police say several people had to be turned away.

Several people showed up at checkpoints after the order was rescinded on Thursday for parts of the Cariboo Regional District, said RCMP Sgt. Annie Linteau, only to find out that they still weren’t allowed back into their neighbourhoods.

“Many of these people and been driving quite a while and unfortunately had to be turned away,” Linteau told reporters on Friday.

Residents are encouraged to check out the regional district website for details on evacuation orders and alerts.

Meanwhile, wildfire officails report 12 new fires that sparked on Thursday, bringing the total number of fires currently burning in B.C. to 149. The estimated cost for the BC Wildfire Service to fight the blazes stands at $160.8 million.

The Elephant Hill fire, near Cache Creek, is at 70,000 hectares and is 30-per-cent contained, while the Monte Lake fire southeast of Kamloops has burned through 150 hectares and is also 30-per-cent contained.

“The air tanker base in Kamloops set a single-day record for the amount of retardant used,” said chief fire information officer Kevin Skrepnek. “Almost 600,000 litres.”

Slightly more than 5,000 people are still not allowed to go home around the province because of evacuation orders.

Meanwhile, BC Hydro has returned electricity to almost all customers, save for about 100.

Officials plan to have more information next week as to how much property damage the fires have caused so far.


laura.baziuk@bpdigital.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Six-year-old boy needs $19,000 a month to treat rare form of arthritis

Mother of sick Sooke boy asks government to help fund treatments

Bird watchers gear up for annual count

Count takes place in Langford, Colwood, Victoria, North and Central Saanich

Oak Bay senior boys basketball takes Tsumura title

Junior and senior teams host Gary Taylor Classic starting Thursday

Site C dam goes ahead, cost estimate now up to $10.7 billion

Premier John Horgan says Christy Clark left him no other choice

Slip back into warm days with CCPA staging of A Midsummer Night’s Dream

Canadian College of Performing Arts presents A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Dec. 14 to 16

Youth Against Cancer Club strikes again Island cancer lodge

Oak Bay High students craft decor to outfit the Canadian Cancer Society lodge in Victoria

Environmental groups slam NDP decision to continue with Site C

Construction industry, meanwhile, is cautiously optimistic about how the project will look

Be ladder safe both at work and home

WorkSafeBC wants you to keep safe while hanging those Christmas lights this year

B.C. overdose deaths surpass 1,200

96 people died of illicit drug overdoses in October

Crown appeals stay against Jamie Bacon in Surrey Six killings

B.C.’s prosecution service says judge’s decision reveals ‘errors of law’

Feds agree to give provinces 75 per cent of pot tax revenues

Finance Minister Bill Morneau announced the agreement today

HOMEFINDER: Victoria condo project offers investment opportunity

Below market prices at Vivid at The Yates appealed to young Victoria couple

Red Scorpion associates cuffed in drug-trafficking bust

Kamloops RCMP lay charges in connection to Red Scorpion drug trafficking ring

Most Read