Let’s see…..time for the facts Mr. Martin .
1) CRD owns the sea to sea park. They have a policy of no OHV traffic period. That policy underwent a thorough public consultation process and the public deemed it necessary to restrict motorized access to this park.
2) MoT has investigated said private road and have concluded that said road is indeed private for no evidence suggests otherwise.
3) District Solicitor provided legal opinion which categorically concluded two realities…1) CRD Regional Park is outside DOS jurisdiction. Any local issue arising from Sooke Council must be directed to our CRD representative, which is myself and delivered at CRD board for discussion. 2) road in question is private. No public funds were ever expended on said road.
4) Ombudsman office thoroughly investigated this file as a result of a complaint laid by Mr. Martin. Ombudsman office concluded that no improprieties were evident on behalf of the municipality as alleged by Mr. Martin. As a result of the above, they have now closed the file.
5) The zoning, the taxes, etc are irrelevant points. Not germain whatsoever to the above noted facts.
6) If user groups wish to lobby the CRD to change the said policy, then they should channel their energies and focus on the CRD parks policy and the CRD administration. I fail to see the confusion here? Even if the DOS disagreed with the CRD policy of no motorized access to regional parks….we would need to convince the CRD board and I have made it patently clear there exists zero political appetite to change the existing policy.
Mayor Janet Evans